Will WSL 2 be available in Windows Server 2022?

Brass Contributor

Ever since build 20251 or so, we are unable to essentially utilize WSL 2 on WS 2022. I just installed 20339, installed WSL using 'wsl --install' (which works beautifully!). I rebooted. When I run this command:

wsl --set-default-version 2

It just spits the main help text as if you typed 'wsl -help'.

Can anyone from MS let us know if WSL 2 will be available and supported when Windows Server 2022 ships in the fall? Thank you!

- Michael

3 Replies
This is by far and away the most frustrating thing. When you look at the Known Issues section and Microsoft just keeps whistling in the graveyard acting like nothing is wrong even though WSL 2 worked on previous insider builds (all of which expired on 1/31)
This is frustrating, we had a lot operational in this arena prior to the move from Insider to Preview 20348.169. Now it seems we either just "wait" or somehow recover an image from 1Q21 when WSL 2 worked. I hope this is rectified soon.

Some exciting news to share, in direct response to your feedback we have just added WSL2 to Windows Server 2022!! WSL2 will be broadly available in the June cumulative update, for those looking to get it sooner it is available today by installing the 5C update here: https://support.microsoft.com/help/5014021

THANK YOU for your feedback in helping us make Windows Server better!