Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Where is Hyper-V Server 2019?!

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

Anyone know when MS will post it again for d-load??  Very frustrating since I need to rebuild my Hyper-V server and the new image is not here for dload!!  :((
(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-hyper-v-server-2019)

HELP!!!

57 Replies

@bps  Its the EXACT ISO.  Folder by folder.  Trust me.  I d-loaded and examined it, then installed.  It is the exact ISO MS had on the site.  But ok, yer call...But no telling how long the wait.

Us tech-hedz must stick together!  ;)

Be aware that if you would install Hyper-V Server 2019 from the ISO from the link mentioned earlier, you will download a version before it was pulled, which BTW probably contains an issue with Remote Desktop connection (as discussed on https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c9d82adb-5dd5-4e43-878c-2e98e00c2943/hyperv-server...).

I strongly suggest waiting for an official release.

@Vladimír Mach  Yep, I already said this way up the thread.  But for those in a hurry to test it out and not need Remote Desktop to work, knock yer-selves out.

I just wanted to point out that it is not flawless download if someone didn't read the whole topic here and just open the link.

And I am not sure, but I think even Windows Update is not properly working in this image. At least on my test installation, the check for updates online does not offer any cumulative update for download.

@Jim Wooldridge Hoping we can get an update here... Thanks!

Yes, Please can we have an update MS
Yes. Any update would be appreciated!

We are getting closer. I believe the last of the issues has been resolved and validations are in progress.  For those of you who downloaded the original release of Microsoft Hyper-V while it was live for that brief period last fall, or obtained a copy from an unofficial source, we recommend a clean install of the new version when it is released.  

If the re-release of Server 2019 was Nov. 13 of last year, why oh why is Hyper-V Server 2019 taking for-ev-er to be released for download?  I have an important deployment where I need this, and I really don't want to have to install Hyper-V Server 2016.  I have a really tight timeline, so I may be forced to go that route.  I guess I just don't understand how it could be such a different build that it would take well over 3 extra month to release from the rest of the Server 2019 family.

I hear your frustration and appreciate your position.  I am hopeful that we will be able to release Microsoft Hyper-V 2019 in the next few weeks although I can't give you an exact date yet.

Problem finally (and officially) fixed with the build 17763.348 (KB4482887) realeased today :)

KB4482887 

I have the October release of Hyper-V Server 2019 from third-party sources installed.

Can I manually install 2019-02 for Windows Server 2019 from your link?

edit: I have successfully applied the patch. Now Remote Desktop works! Thank you!

hey! I actually gave up on all this mess and setup 2016 again. it works like a champ. Dunno when ill get the ballz to setup 2019 once all this madness is sorted...

@Mary Hoffman Can KB4482887 be applied to the Microsoft download located here: https://software-download.microsoft.com/download/pr/17763.1.180914-1434.rs5_release_SERVERHYPERCORE_...

Or is MS still recommending a fresh install of the yet to be released ISO?

@Mary Hoffman  And why is the link to HyperV-2019 still directing to this page?  https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2018/11/13/update-on-windows-server-2019-availability...

I thought the fixed version would be posted on the Eval Center with the others???

@rspeaker I believe what it boils down to is they've released a KB for Server 2019 that resolves the Remote Desktop issue, but they have not released the Hyper-V Server 2019 .ISO yet that includes this patch code.  @Mary Hoffman said the .ISO is in the qualification/validation stage, and should be release within the next 3 weeks.  Apparently, from what I've read on other forums, they're likely being extra cautious on this release of Hyper-V Server 2019 because of the multiple bugs the last release included.  I think besides the Remote Desktop issue, there was also problems with the media booting properly in certain scenarios.  I'm like several others here...based on how loud my client squeaks, I may have to roll with 2016 instead...

For me, this is a deployment for a small business; it will likely only ever run two VMs; one Linux (FreePBX), and one Windows 10 (for Veeam Free Edition to backup the FreePBX VM).  I have evaluated all the best three free hypervisors, and landed on Microsoft as my best choice.  VMWare (ESXi) free edition doesn't have the change block tracking needed for Veeam.  And, neither does KVM for that matter.  I'm just conformable with Veeam for backups.  I've also never deployed KVM, but actively manage both Hyper-V and VMWare hosts and cluster environments at my day job.

Hi @Mary Hoffman  -

I think we can all understand the difficult position you are in - unable to commit anything officially, but wanting to be helpful.

But, please, understand the situation many of us are in as well.  We need *some* kind of guidance (which you seem to have recently provided) as to when/how Hyper-V Server 2019 will be delivered.

My biggest complaint isnt that you (Microsoft) dont know exactly when, but rather the deafening silence from Microsoft over the past few *months* about status.

What is the best place to go for updated status on delivery dates for Hyper-V Server?  I assume this isnt it - The last official update that I am aware of was mid January - its been a while.

Thank you for any help and/or guidance....

Joe

Up until recently, there hasn't been anything official to announce externally except that there were issues and they were being worked. It took longer than we anticipated to resolve them. We wanted to make absolutely sure that we had addressed all of the issues before re-releasing. For those users who were able to obtain the original build released last fall, they may manually install KB4482887  and from that point on they should be good. The alternative is to wait for the release of the updated ISO which would consist of the original build plus this update package. It is looking very good that this will be released on the Evaluation Center before the end of this month.  The exact date is not final but as soon as I know, I will let the folks who are following this post know. Thank you for your understanding and patience. This has been frustrating for all of us.

@Mary Hoffman  this is good to hear!  many of us have been struggling with this.  if the updated ISO is gonna drop at the end of the month, very good news.

(now all i need to wait on is the Desktop Experience server 2019 ISO for my Action Pack, another frustration point!!)

@rspeaker wrote:

(now all i need to wait on is the Desktop Experience server 2019 ISO for my Action Pack, another frustration point!!)

No need to wait.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019

2019Setup.jpg