Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE
SOLVED

Start menu layout cannot be changed

Copper Contributor

Having just installed an evaluation copy of Windows Server 2019, I cannot make any changes to the start menu layout. For example; unchecking "Show app list in Start menu" from the Start menu settings does nothing. Attempting to choose which folders appear on the start menu does nothing also. Any changes to the tiles lasts until the next reboot where it's reset. Tiles will become unresponsive when attempting to drag them and then become "ghost" tiles that cannot be clicked on or moved/unpinned. This is a completely default and less than hour old install - absolutely no changes have been made thus far. 1.png2.png

53 Replies

It is my understanding that a fix is coming and should be out this month. I will update you with the KB # once it is live. Thanks for your patience.

best response confirmed by Mary Hoffman (Microsoft)
Solution

https://support.microsoft.com/help/4490481 - the KB doesn't specifically mention this bug, but the fix is included in this update. You can download from here: Microsoft Catalog  

That fixed it. Thanks!

@Mary Hoffman 

I do not confirm. If UPD enabled, fix does not workmstsc_QsocKFEIlW.png

2019-03 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2019 (1809) for x64-based Systems (KB4490481) is being offered through Windows Update as of today. It requires a reboot. Start Menu changes survive sign off / sign on afterwards.

@Mary Hoffman

Worked for me as well, thanks for the update!

@InVerter 

Did you try the workaround Marc Conroy posted at 10-15-2018 04:09 PM?

You'll have to revert the changes to the group policies for the update to have an effect on the start menu.

@Mary Hoffman 

Hi Mary, 

I have been doing some testing in various scenarios, if you modify a user that has a local profile to the server then the advised KB does work if the profile roams with the local one being deleted this does not work and still has the same issue. In other scenarios using Citrix Profile Management or Citrix WEM then the issue is still present I have not tested this within just an RDS environment using profile disks however I imagine this will have the same issue as it still happens when the profile is located elsewhere and/or if the local cached profile is removed them streamed back to the server. 

Regards Chris

@InVerter   Using UPD is also a different scenario. The fix may not apply to your problem.  It may be time to contact support at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

Microsoft seem to have fixed this in the last round of updates.

The Start Menu on our 2019 Server (DC) is now working perfectly, when it was displaying the exact same symptoms as yours before and on every reboot / login.

@Gary SearleDo you know the KB number for the update that fixes the error?

@InVerter Have you tried https://support.microsoft.com/help/4490481 - the KB doesn't specifically mention this bug, but the fix is included in this update. You can download from here: Microsoft Catalog  

@Mary HoffmanI installed this package earlier, but it did not solve the problem.

@InVerter 2019-03 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2019 (1809) for x64-based Systems (KB4490481)