Server-insider Build

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Supports only:

Server Core

Nano

When will the Desktop/GUI build be ready?

Please & Thanks.

6 Replies
Hello,

From what I understand the insider builds will only ever be core or nano.

The next semi annual release will have the full GUI. This should be released in March this year and will be called 1803.

I hope that clears some things up.

If I can help further let me know.

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

Does this mean the insider preview will be getting a gui from now on? Is this a one off? Or will we get it once a year?

Thanks

TLDR: No GUI version of 1803 is coming; it'll be Server Core and Nano Server (container base OS image) only.

Windows Server with the Desktop Experience (GUI) is only available on the Long Term Servicing Branch, with releases expected every 2-3 years (and supported for 5 years of Mainstream and 5 years of Extended support). The current version is Windows Server 2016. Windows Server 2016 is required for almost all Microsoft enterprise software (Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, and so-on).

Semi-annual Channel (SAC) releases (such as 1709 and the pending 1803 version) only provide Server Core and Nano Server (container base OS image only). Server Core and Nano Server do not provide the Desktop Experience (aka Windows Shell, aka GUI). SAC versions of Windows Server are only available to customers with Software Assurance, and are only supported for 18 months from time of release. The current version is Windows Server 1709.

I've written more about this here, although I'm afraid it's behind a paywall (guy's gotta make a living).

Jim is 100% correct!

chúng ta nâng cấp thêm 1 phiên bản 1908 có những tính năng mới

Sounds like there may be something coming in the future, but it may only be for Remote Desktop Session Hosts

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2018/02/01/changes-to-office-and-windows-servicing-...

"Later this year, Microsoft will deliver new Remote Desktop and desktop virtualization capabilities within the SAC release cadence of Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows Server. Join the Windows Server Insider program to get early access to these capabilities."