Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE
SOLVED

RSAT missing DNS Server Tools?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

on a fresh Win 10 insider client (16278 updated to 16299) I installed Windows_InsiderPreview_RSAT_x64_16279 but it seems to be missing DNS Server Tools, the MMC snap-in. All other tools like AD, DHCP, WSUS, RAS etc. are there.

It should be there, right?

Cheers, Oliver

56 Replies

The "Additional Information" section of Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10  now recommends to use the WS2016 RSAT package instead if DNS tools are missing.  We are using 2012r2, so the WS2016 RSAT package is what I should use anyway.

When to use WS_1709 RSAT Package: When managing Windows Server, version 1709
When to use WS2016 RSAT Package: When managing targets older than Windows Server, version 1709

There are known issues that may impact RSAT functionality
Issue: DNS Tools missing
Impact: WS_1709 RSAT package users
Resolution: Use the WS2016 RSAT package

Yes, the "Additional Information" section on the download page does clarify things. The problem is, Microsoft has moved the goalposts on this. We are conditioned that RSAT gets broken after feature updates (upgrades), and that we need to go fetch the latest version to get things working again. In other words, match the version of RSAT to the client version.

Now there seems to be a directive to "install the RSAT version to match the server version being managed." What happens when you have a mixed environment with old and new? Dumb. The newest version of RSAT should always be (within reason) backwards-compatible.

I had a similar problem in that I couldn't connect to the internet because computer would not recognize the existence of a DSN server.--had Microsoft on phone for almost 3 hours no results.  Call my internet server company "Spectrum"  They sent someone out in 10 minutes he had me up and running. Changed a wire to my modem (thought lightening might have run in) but modem was on a circuit breaker.  He then downloaded files from main office to re-establish the DNS service to my desktop. I have lost other things doing Windows10 updates.  I have come to be suspicious of every update.  Now I'm getting a picture "that it is time to update my computer" and there is no company, product, or connection connected to the notice.  Nor is there a decline button.  I'm perplexed so I'll stop here on go work on that problem.  Any suggestions please post.

@Deleted this is not the right place for address your issue. You must contact some local IT Support service, maybe you can find someone in https://community.spiceworks.com or you can receive more info in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows 

Thanks, this worked a treat.

No ifs, ands or buts. I'm tired of downloading RSAT for Windows 10. After the 1709 update this week it broke again.

Installed WS_1709 after the update, no DNS, did a system restore to go back to WS_2016 but it will not install.

Just going to RDP to the DCs from now on.

Thanks again Microsoft for updating the updates and breaking other things along the way too.

Thanks!  Sorry I goofed. New--appreciate your help to do things right.

Perfect, better to publish a laborious workaround vs. fixing the package. /s

Nope, another fail.

Running the batch file gives syntax errors.

You must not work in software development...

Regardless - it has taken them a bit too long to fix this seemingly minor packaging bug.

I will give it a try after the next build comes down.

Thanks for posting the files, it works now.

Reading through this and I see a lot of frustration.  One way to reduce this and possibly increase security is to provision a management server and run your elevated tools and scripts from that location.  This allows you protect against pass-the-hash like security risks by using your separate elevated account to log into your management server to complete elevated tasks.  Another approach if you have an RDS or Citrix farm is to publish the applications.  Running these from a windows 10 desktop is going to have it's challenges.  Having to reinstall RSAT tools to match the OS is not new.  Spend less time complaining and aligning with the problem, get outside the box and become the solution.

Anyone have a clue how to successfully uninstall KB2693643?

PS> Uninstall-Package -Name "Update for Windows (KB2693643)"
PS> Get-Package -Name "Update for Windows (KB2693643)"

Name                           Version          Source                           ProviderName
----                           -------          ------                           ------------
Update for Windows (KB2693643)                                                   msu

As you can see, uninstall seems to succeed without throwing any errors, but Get-Package says it is still installed.  

Appwiz.cpl updates still lists a slightly different named  "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2693643)"  with "An error has occurred. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled."

PS> wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:2693643

results in the following error message box:

"Windows Update Standalone Installer

"Installer encountered an error: 0x80070005

Access is denied."

In all cases, I have elevated PS.

Travis, that is a good idea for the people that can afford the extra licensing.  Of course MimiKatz sniffs out credentials passed to RDP servers, so by default, the jump server might not help much.   A more secure solution would be to have a separate machine (preferably hardware based)  accessible only via KeyboardVideoMouse switch.  

@dareames posted the answer to uninstalling in the link below.  My CBS.log had ~hundreds of error entries of not being able to remove mostly en-us folders, but none of those mattered when the registry key is deleted.

"Fall Creators Update - Cannot uninstall RSAT KB2693643"

Thank you this works!

Installed Build 17063.rs_prerelease.171213-1610.  Although I had to go through it twice, it worked the second time around and my tiles showed up on my Start menu without having to move them or pinning them to the Start menu again.

The new build is soooo much better than 17046.  For those of you on the Fast Ring for Insider Preview, Build 17046 was available 12/19/2017.