SOLVED

[MAJOR ISSUE] b20257, b20262 DNS Server service keeps crashing 0x0374

MVP

Dear Server Insider team,

I am facing the following issue starting with build b20257

DNS Server service keeps crashing and stopped on all ADDS DCs consisting of only hardware and Hyper-V ADDS Servers.

Effectively the domain becomes unuseable. It seems that the crash occours every time a DNS update is incoming

affected builds: Windows Server vNext SAC + LTSC starting with b20257, b20262

unaffected builds: Server vNext SAC + LTSC  b20251 or earlier

Scenario:

3 DCs, 1 Site, Server vNext SAC (2 VMs), LTSC (Hyper-V Server, SET Switch)

Reproducible: yes
Scope: Affects all ADDS Domain Controllers (hardware or physical)

exemplary log:
DNS Service keeps crashing (seems like it does so on every incoming DNS update request).

Servername 1000 Error Application ErrorApplication12.11.2020 21:19:39
Faulting application name: dns.exe, version: 10.0.20257.1000, time stamp: 0x749de11c
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.20257.1000, time stamp: 0x12a774b2
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x0000000000106489
Faulting process id: 0x36b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6b930e2ddeb12
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 67ab2451-27d1-4fb2-a830-270509c59348

When did the issue appear:

after upgrade to 20257.

28 Replies

@Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus 

I'm experiencing the same.  The DNS server goes offline after any Active Directory install.

OS Build 20257.1000
Performed multiple installs and attempts, all with the same result (attached).
Installed under Hyper V running the same Insiders build of Server.  And the other a Windows 10 19042.630.

Thank you for reporting this issue!  We have a fix to address this issue and it will be available in the next Windows Server Insiders build.

Thanks!
Elden

@Elden Christensen 

Hi,

I have been experiencing similar problems with DNS. Can I solve this problem by uninstalling the latest Windows-update? And/or should I wait on your patch for this problem, as I saw that I'm not the only one having this issue? 

Thanks in advance!

Greets Beau

When do you expect a new build with the fix?  

@Thomas Lee I suppose after their deserved holidays. Perhaps next Thursday.

Hi, sorry for the delayed response.  The fix will be available in tomorrows build.

Thanks!
Elden

best response confirmed by Elden Christensen (Microsoft)
Microsoft Verified Best Answer
Solution
I now have that build and it does seem to cure the DNS issues. Thanks"

Great to hear Thomas, thank you for reporting the issue, your patience while we fixed it, and verifying it is now addressed!

Thanks!
Elden

@Elden Christensen @Thomas Lee 

can confirm all Server LTSC GUI / Server Core SAC AD DS DNS are working fine now after IPU to b20270!

Thanks for transparent communication and quick fix!

I have 20270 and this bug has re-surfaced. I can not keep the DNS Service running.

@Thomas Lee that's unfortunate. Have you tried b20282 yet? It kept being stable on 20270 for me on 3 VMs and one hardware ADDS DNS

Finished the Updtate - but the issue continues.

My workaround is this script, run in a window and minimised:

While ($true) {start-service dns; Start-Sleep -Seconds 2}

@Thomas Lee hi Thomas from what I have seen in the bugged release the issue happened as soon an DNS record was being updated. I suggest that you get in touch with the Server vNext Team. as @Elden Christensen asked for examples where the rolled out fix in b20270 would not work.

@Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus THANKS for that comment. I have indeed written to Elden. NO answer, but it is Sunday morning! :)

This is a serious bug and it is one that was previously fixed. I kind of need this bug fixed - it breaks everything. And, why did this bug re-occur? Is this a very weird edge case that slipped through the cracks (it happens :0) )?

What is that joke: The problem is DNS, now what was the question?

My workaround is crude and not perfect:

While ($true) {Start-Service -Name DNS; Start-Sleep -Seconds 3}

b20282 is also stable for me even after running some days. I would suggest to upgrade to b20282 and eventually remove and reinstall all DNS / ADDS one by one so you have at least one running with your fix. once you notice that after the reinstall the issue is gone this might be your stable route for DNS / ADDS again.
Does this release have a fix for DNS crashes?

@doctordns If you upgrade to the newest build and still have this issue, could you please provide some crash dumps and help out with reproduction steps? You can use this to capture crash logs https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wer/collecting-user-mode-dumps

Also, if you turn on page heap using gflags before running the repro that will be great. More information on that here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/gflags-and-pageheap#:~:text=To%20...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Elden Christensen (Microsoft)
Microsoft Verified Best Answer
Solution
I now have that build and it does seem to cure the DNS issues. Thanks"

View solution in original post