SOLVED

Hyper-V Server 2022

Iron Contributor

Anyone know whether there will be a Hyper-V Server 2022? i.e. the free version which is just for running VMs and has no GUI?

I've seen mentions on forums that this SKU is being dropped, but not found anything official.

Thanks

258 Replies

XCP-NG or VMware are your big two choices. There are others such as VirtualBox and KEMU.

VMware has free options. XCP-NG is not 'too difficult', you just need to play with it and you'll find your knowledge with hv will translate over.

Hyperv is dead, we're moving on to a post-Microsoft Era in the hypervisor arena. They can't articulate what their plans for smb are beyond the original stated Azure Stack - which by extension excludes the entire smb market so, so the sooner you get moving the better.

I have looked into both XCP-NG and Proxmox. Both are good options. XCP-NG is good if you have several Physical host servers to manage and are connected via. LAN or site-to-site VPN (or SSH tunnel), but it doesn't have a package manager to install your own tools locally.

Proxmox is good if you want the Physical host servers to be managed independently, it has plenty built in tools to do so and is built on Debian so you can add more.

With Hyper-V Server I used to install Windows Admin Center and before that a Management PC operating as a Workgroup not a Domain to manage it, so for me, Proxmox is the closest match.

Anyone considering deploying XCP-ng or Proxmox in place of Hyper-V Server is probably going to want to be aware that you probably won't be eligible for support from Microsoft for any Windows Server guest VMs that you run on those platforms.

Microsoft's Support policy for Microsoft software that runs on non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software states that 'Microsoft does not test or support Microsoft software that's run in conjunction with non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software.' unless you have Premier-level support (an annual paid contract), the vendor has established a support relationship with Microsoft that covers virtualization solutions, or the vendor is part of the Server Virtualization Validation Program (SVVP) (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/virtualization/software-runs-on-non-mic...)

The list of support partners for non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software currently includes the following:

• Canonical, Ltd
  • Citrix Systems, Inc.
  • Nutanix, Inc.
  • Red Hat, Inc.
  • SUSE Linux Products GmbH
  • Virtuozzo International GmbH
  • VMware, Inc

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/virtualization/non-microsoft-hardware-v...

And the Server Virtualization Validation Program includes a number of products, but Proxmox and XCP-ng are not yet on the list

https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp.aspx?svvppage=svvp.htm

As far as I can tell there's nothing to stop them from joining - 'SVVP is open to any vendor that delivers a machine virtualization solution that runs currently supported versions of Windows Server.' and they can do the testing themselves - 'All testing for this program is done by the virtualization product vendors, with the results of that testing submitted to Microsoft for review and approval.' but if the product isn't on the programme you won't be able to access normal Windows Server technical support.

That's the purpose of the programme:

'The program enables vendors to validate various machine virtualization products so that Microsoft customers running copies of Windows Server they have acquired and licensed from Microsoft directly can receive technical support for Windows Server in virtualized environments.'

Worth considering the risks of this when proposing solutions like these to any clients.

I can't stress enough the importance of Replication for SMB's. All my customers are setup with older hardware running the Free Hyper-V Server receiving replications for their VM's. Some of the bigger customers can handle purchasing another licenses for the Replication Hosts, but the smaller ones will be upset. I have actually begun to install 2 Hyper-V hosts. One receives a copy for a week then the other. Once the switch is made the other is taken Offline. Protection from ransomware. This move, if it stays this way, kills that option. Of course 2019 does go on for a while. But lately it wouldn't surprise me if they removed it from even being downloaded. Maybe its too soon to judge. Hyper-V server 2019 is still here. But if they do remove it then its time to bail. Free Replication was the reason I moved away from Vmware. Superior to anyone else. Who else has 30 second replication? Who has 5 minutes Replication? Take this away then why should I stay? Had a customer who's Hyper-V got ransomed. The Replication saved their butts, only 5 minute data loss. I think they are going to try and ween everyone they can and then at the last second come up with an option for the ones they didn't move. Max profits!!!!
and?

I doubt that will come into play for normal software issues unless hardware/stability type issues are at the crux of the matter. On that note I can't even remember the last time we've needed to engage MS support for any OS/Hardware issues.
Its not just SMB's that have this issue.

Home/Enthusiast users are also feeling the nerve with Hyper V Server ending.

I run a home server running Hyper V, id love to see this upgraded, and i definitely cant afford the Azure options.

Too many times ive been hurt by MS, The Band, health, phone, mixer and now this.

I dont know why i keep going back to MS, you just get burnt...
I’m just pointing out another factor to consider. Any consultant worth consulting should consider and present the potential risks to their clients. It might never present itself as an issue the majority of the time, but when it does, it will be one.

@Elden Christensen It's been nearly a month since you've responded to this thread. Are you even following this anymore or do you consider this issue closed?
A final line in the sand reply would be appreciated by many of the folks here who want to know if there will be a rollback or not.

Hi Jamie, yes I am closely following this thread.  I thank everyone for the constructive feedback.

Thanks!
Elden

@MinkusMe 

Yes, this is important in the consultancy space where business strategy conversations around business continuity planning (or BCP - of which ICT is just one part) carry significant weight.

Arguably, the feedback solicited from us in this forum was supposed to be purely technical, so I don't want to waste my time or anybody else's deep-diving on the commercial aspect, but support comes up frequently in at least two components of BCP: risk (cyber insurance) and staff contingency planning (knowledge transfer and intellectual property capture and retention), both of which can be reduced - through estimation - into a discussion about dollars and cents in the context of risk versus reward.

For many businesses, it doesn't matter which channel is leveraged (Premier Support, pay-per-incident, etc.), just that there is a formal escalation process so they are not left carrying the hot potato when things go wrong - particularly for something as important as their virtualisation platform (which can most definitely influence your cyber insurance).

Stepping back out to avoid that rabbit hole, and linking it back to what losing the free Hyper-V Server means, it's simple: the value (tangible and perceived) to the customer of the Microsoft ecosystem (not just this specific product).

Any chance there will be a change on this decision? Keeping HV alive OR making some kind of entry level free tier of Stack with feature parity? If the goal is to drive adoption of Stack, to then drive Azure - You can't do better than this option; prevents you having to manage two code-bases too. You can keep all the cluster stuff and scalable provisioning features features behind the paid sku. Our use case as an MSP for our SMB clients is little single hosts with one/two VM's. This would require allowing a single host install though, as the dual host requirement automatically disqualifies most SMB.

We've been seeing a pretty steady adoption growth of Azure among our client bases, and I think over time more of our clients will want to move their VM's into the cloud. I really think that trend will stop once we have to start using other platforms as we will already be divorced from the ecosystem and would just as likely use AWS/Google, or even a flat VM system like Vultr/Digital-Ocean. If our VM's are all in HV, it's super easy to move to Azure and by default probably will move to Azure.

We just need to know what we're dealing with so we can work accordingly. If the answer is NO then fine. If it's MAYBE fine, and same with YES WORKING ON IT then that's fine too.

Hello,

I need an information about that :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/hyperv-server-2019

In 2024, it's the end of support...

In 2029, it's the end of "extend" support

Here, we can read "Extended Support phase" give "free security update" :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/policies/fixed#extended-support

So, I NEED a contract to have the security update after january 2024, or it's for all user, despite any extend support, and automatic ?

thank !

@Elden ChristensenI'd like to add my voice to this thread, and make clear that the precise problem here - for me at least, and likely for most here - is not necessarily a change in product; rather, the problem is the change in pricing.  Microsoft gives away many things for free (email, resources, Azure free-tier products, etc.) and does so for specific purposes: namely, to attract users to the brand and the platform, in the hope that this boosts revenue in the long term.  It's a good strategy; and by removing HyperV Server from its free offerings, Microsoft is potentially losing a lot of "advertising opportunities" of this type in the future.

Most of the people in this thread seem to be people who work at or for big data centers, and provide services to small/medium business clients.  For them, the loss of a free HyperV server has directly geometric revenue effects, but, I'd guess that, at the end of the day, Microsoft believes that these large datacenter people can afford to pay, and Microsoft therefore is choosing to stop offering a free HyperV server because Microsoft doesn't think it's really necessary.  If these companies, Microsoft might reason, want to stay on HyperV, they'll move to the Azure product and pay the fee and get used to it.  That may be true in some cases, although certainly not all.

Now consider the opposite situation.  I am an IT Director overseeing a very small team of a very few people running our own datacenter pair... so I myself am an SMB.  However... I have five *very large* clients.  Let's assume for the sake of discussion that these are huge clients, globally known, who pay my company to operate their IT infrastructure for them, simply because, by virtue of their own structures, it makes more sense for them to outsource such things than to operate them in-house.  In at least one case, they have no house.  My point is, I may be the opposite of what others in this thread might be.

I "grew up" on Linux - I started with SCO Xenix (flashbacks anyone?) back when the i286 was a thing, and moved forward through time to OpenSuse.  When virtualization became a thing, I was on XenLite, and it was... okay... but as we all know it's never been great.  I've always run Windows on my PC, and loved it, but, like many, I wasn't really focused on understanding everything Windows can do.... I was busy running servers, and there were just not enough hours in the day.

Two years ago I purchased a new server for my test lab, and found that it was "designed for Windows".  I was able of course to load OpenSuse on it, and "knew" that I would never actually load a Windows Server on it, because I don't have $10K for a Datacenter license just lying around.   But I also still felt that "XenLite" wasn't really "good enough"... and I wanted to move to something more powerful.  I started sniffing around at XCP-NG, and even had deployed a few Windows Server trial instances on it, when I accidentally discovered Windows HyperV Server 2019.

For the Jeff Foxworthy fans among us, "If a VERSION of WINDOWS SERVER CHANGED... YOUR... LIFE... you might be a redneck..."  

I loaded HyperV Server 2019 on my test lab machine... and never looked back.  HyperV Server led me to play with Windows Servers, in a real way, for the first time - to load, yes, Linux servers as guests, but also to spend tons of time with Windows servers that I'd never otherwise have spent.  HyperV Server led me to participate more closely with Microsoft products, opportunities, and services.  It led me to Azure, and to learn about and become comfortable with Hybrid setups, all the various cloud services there, and more. 

Most of all:  It led me to a place where I was ready to start recommending Windows servers and services to my clients: Linux users who, initially, would have wanted to be on HyperV Server as the hypervisor, but, soon thereafter, would have moved to paid deployments of Windows Server, with its many features and offerings, and, thereafter, I'm sure, to Azure... if I could only have provided them with a reliable pathway so to do... that was within my non-existent SMB budget... and covered by Microsoft's active participation and support.

In other words, there could have been a butterfly effect here.  The others in this thread have made clear that they could have continued to grow their client bases (and therefore Microsoft's revenue) more freely with a HyperV Server 2022 (and beyond!) deployment. In my case, the butterfly effect could have been much more pronounced:  just my own little ability to recommend and influence direction for my few large clients might well have caused a huge shift for them and others to Azure (by way of HyperV 2022, 2025, and *then* Hybrid when the time was right), which could have resulted not only in revenue but also (for the sake of discussion) enhanced visibility for Microsoft.

In other words, continuing to offer HyperV Server 202X could have brought lots of continuing benefit to Microsoft; similarly, this small decision Microsoft seems to have made will bring Microsoft no benefit (at least not that we can discern), and could harm it in terms of significant opportunity costs.

The absence of a HyperV Server 202X, means that that "stepping stone" (or, in my case, "gateway drug" :) is now gone.  Now the distance to Windows Server, Hybrid, and Azure, is much farther away.  Now I'm forced to recommend alternatives, which for me means XCP-NG and XOA because, next to HyperV 2019, that's the best thing out there that fits the profile we're all looking for.  And when you run a Hypervisor based on (*cough*) Linux, there's really no "draw" to Windows or Microsoft from that direction. 

I cannot describe my joy when, at last, I was able to seamlessly integrate my HyperV server, with its running guests, with my Windows 10 ProW PC, and Windows Admin Center, and HyperV Manager, and have everything... just... work.   It was one of the coolest, most reassuring experiences I've had in a long time.

Likewise, I cannot describe my sadness at learning that HyperV 202X may not ever be a thing.

I cannot imagine that it's *difficult* for Microsoft to maintain such a product, it's just Windows Core with some (or many) things limited.  I imagine that maintaining that "version" of Windows Server 202X as jut one additional SKU is comparatively easy.  Certainly easier, I'd say, than maintaining Outlook.com.... or Skype.... or Azure free tier... and so on and so on.   And just as Microsoft gets significant indirect benefit from those things (I for example use Enterprise E5 now, and my gateway to that was Outlook.com, followed by Exchange Server, running on... yup.... HyperV Server), I think it's clear that Microsoft is getting significant indirect benefit from HyperV Server 2019, and that such benefits would continue and even increase with HyperV Server 202X.

I respectfully suggest that it is to Microsoft's benefit to continue to offer that product, and I request - if you have not done so already - that you share these comments and others in this thread with the (other) decision makers out there.  We clearly all think that this should be a thing, and now is the time to make that happen.

Thanks for reading,

Glen

@riahc3 Or just remain on Hyper-V 2019, even after it ceases to get new updates... in eight years.

I presently have several systems still running Hyper-V 2012r2 as their processors do not support SLAT/EPT, being Dual-Socket Pentium D 950's. VT, yes, VT-X, no.

There is no reason to upgrade those systems beyond their current OS'.

Yeah, never update, who cares about security right?

@Brian Martin Certainly no one who uses Microsoft products can also care about security.

Let it rest, guys.

These sorts of exchanges provide no value to the discussion and frequently only serve to get a thread locked.

I'd prefer not to see that happen in this instance as while Elden's feedback has been infrequent, at least someone is/has been officially keeping tabs on this thread. Getting advanced word of intent (whichever the direction) from someone like Elden is possibly the only avenue we have prior to everything simply going GA and we have to run around like we're on fire to react to that kind of "zero notice" approach.

So, again, please let cooler heads prevail in this thread.

46.1K Views, and not consideration about MS...

Well looks like this could possibly address one concern (although no news on single-node clusters or an item-level discount for education/nonprofit). Can someone do some sums to work out how many VMs you need for Azure Stack HCI + this to be cheaper than Datacenter licenses w/ Software Assurance?

Public preview: Windows Server guest licensing offer for Azure Stack HCI

To facilitate guest licensing for Azure Stack HCI customers, we are pleased to announce a new offer that brings simplicity and more flexibility for licensing. The new Windows Server subscription for Azure Stack HCI is available in public preview as of December 14, 2021. This offer will allow you to purchase unlimited Windows Server guest licenses for your Azure Stack HCI cluster through your Azure subscription. You can sign up and cancel anytime and preview pricing is $0 until general availability (GA). At GA, the offer will be charged at $23.60 per physical core per month. This offer simplifies billing through an all-in-one place Azure subscription and in some cases will be less expensive for customers than the traditional licensing model.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/updates/public-preview-windows-server-guest-licensing-offer-for-az...
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure-stack/hci/manage/vm-activate#windows-server-subscription

We don't want free trial...