Feature requerst - pin a folder to a storage tier

Copper Contributor

with Set-FileStorageTier cmdlet we can assigns only a file at a time to a specified storage tier.

I think it is very unconfortable to do it for every file when you need to exclude whole large folders.

For example, I have a lot of .avi files in a folder on a parity accelerated volume and I'd like to pin the Whole folder to the hdd capacity tier, so I hope that in the next win2019 release we'll can pin an entire folder to a tier.

Many thanks

2 Replies

Hi Macro,

Can you confirm what solution you are deploying?  You mention Mirror-accelerated Parity, which is only applicable to Storage Spaces Direct with WS2016.  With Storage Spaces Direct you cannot pin files to tiers, so the Set-FileStorageTier cmdlet is not applicable.

You can use Set-FileStorageTier to pin files on a Shared Spaces with a JBOD (which was introduced in WS2012).

Storage Spaces Direct leverages a real-time 'cache', where Shared Spaces leverages 'tiering'.

Thanks!
Elden

well, there is no cluster in my configuration, but there is only a standalone file server, so no storage space direct in place.
Actually I believe that I have accomplished the right steps to deploy a mirror-accelerated parity volume on my server. As I can see in performance monitor the data rotates correctly between the two tiers (mirror&parity)
This is the powershell script that seems to work for me;

New-StoragePool -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Pool1" -StorageSubSystemFriendlyName (Get-StorageSubSystem).FriendlyName -PhysicalDisks (Get-PhysicalDisk -CanPool $true) -LogicalSectorSizeDefault 512 -FaultDomainAwarenessDefault PhysicalDisk

Set-PhysicalDisk -Friendlyname "WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0" -MediaType HDD

New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName Pool1 -FriendlyName SSD_Tier -MediaType SSD -ResiliencySettingName Mirror

New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName Pool1 -FriendlyName HDD_Tier -MediaType HDD -ResiliencySettingName Parity

$ssd_tier = Get-StorageTier -FriendlyName SSD_Tier

$hdd_tier = Get-StorageTier -FriendlyName HDD_Tier

New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName Pool1 -FriendlyName "VM" -WriteCacheSize 3GB -StorageTiers @($ssd_tier,$hdd_tier) -StorageTierSizes 215GB, 1024GB

New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName Pool1 -FriendlyName "DATI" -WriteCacheSize 3GB -StorageTiers @($ssd_tier,$hdd_tier) -StorageTierSizes 9GB, 4560GB

Set-StoragePool -FriendlyName Pool1 -IsPowerProtected $True

In the next release of windows 2019, I'd like to pin some folders to the HDD_Tiers. Do you think it will be possible?