Dot net Framework 3.5.1 Will not install from Adding Features?

Copper Contributor

I habve tried this on the other build also.

The feature still does not install even when I direct it to the SXS folder. I have program that use the 4.8 and the 3.51 together. I need to test this  to get my companies programs to be certified. Anyone have any ideas. And Yes I have tried the DISM command line entry. Still no good.

5 Replies
Microsoft correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe .net 3.51 is being retired now.
Suggest updating the code to the program accordingly.

@Billmcseservises 

.NET Framework 3 is still available, but it is not present on the sources of the installed OS. For standard Windows 10, it is download upon request by Windows. On Windows Server 2022, you need to get it from the installation iso/DVD.

The install process in Windows Server 2019 and Windows Server 2022 goes like this:

1. In Server Manager, go to Add Roles and Features and click next until you reach the Select Features page.

2. In there, select the .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 (4.8 can be skipped, but recommanded) and enable all the feature and the subfeatures. (For advanced users, some subfeatures can be skipped, if truly unneccesary) It is pretty recommended to check on the features page DirectPlay, (it contains legacy Direct X, from before Windows 10, in a way, it is required by some components of .NET Framework. Also, there is Windows 10 Identity Foundation 3.5, since it is also a part of .NET Framework 3. You will get to a page with several components (I do not remember it what it says exactly, I rarely use it), there you shall a group of options labeled Application Developement. I suggest you check all things in there, since they are all related to .NET Framework. Of course, if you are an advanced user and know exactly what each one does and some are unneccesary, some of those can be skipped. 

3. When you get to Confirm Installation Selection you need to check Specify Alternate Source Path. You need to acces the WS 2022 installation DVD or mounted or unzipped iso installation USB drive and go to the Sources and then Sxs in Sources. Get the adress in Windows Explorer and add it to Specify Alternate Source Path. This is the most important step.

4. Click install and wait for the installation to finish. A reboot may be required. That is suppose to be it. 

@Radu Ilie is correct. In fact, nothing in this regards has changed since Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012.

If you want to automate this procedure, here's a very basic PowerShell script. This is just a sample, you can certainly adjust it to work better in your specific scenarios.

Couple of additional considerations.

1. You only need to mount the ISO and explicitly specify the path during the preview period. When the OS is released, the installation sources are published to Windows Update. Hence, if you have Internet connectivity, you can skip this part and just run the command which adds the capability. It will transparently pull the sources from Windows Update.
  2. If you want to maintain your own repository for those installation sources, you can specify a local network path using Group policy. This article has some information on this option for beginners. Of course, you can do so even after the OS is released if you don't want every server to reach directly to Windows Update.

If you have tried these steps precisely and installation fails, please be more specific about your experience. Tell us what exactly you did (i.e. where you obtained the sources and how exactly you specified the path) and what was the outcome. If there was an error message, please copy it as is, preferably via text. (But a screenshot would also do.) Thank you for providing the feedback!

@Billmcseservises 

So if 3.5 is no longer extended support, why is it required for dynamics GP ( all versions)?  That seems counterintuitive.