SOLVED

Cloud witness problem in 17093?

Copper Contributor

The cloud witness in a 17093 cluster fails when one node reboots or goes offline (even gracefully). This takes down the whole cluster. File share witness works. 

The cloud witness works on the LTSC Windows 2016, so it appears to be an insider preview problem. 

3 Replies

Hi Roland,

We just attempted to repro this and were not successful.  Can you please provide more details? 

• If you could provide your repro steps?
  • Also, if you run Get-ClusterLog and look at the C:\Windows\Cluster\Reports for the Cluster.log there will be additional details in regards to the failure.  If you could post what you are seeing logged to the Cluster.log it would be helpful

Thanks!!
Elden Christensen
Principal PM Manager
Windows Server Development Team

best response confirmed by Elden Christensen (Microsoft)
Solution

The problem may have been that I was using a Azure Storage (Classic) resource. I changed to a newer Storage (general purpose v1) resource and it works.

The Cluster.log has errors related to setting up the Cloud Witness on the old storage resource, but the UI and log ultimately says it completed successfully.

Snippet attached.

Glad to hear you are up and running...  this is good feedback that we can look into making better.

Thanks!
Elden

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Elden Christensen (Microsoft)
Solution

The problem may have been that I was using a Azure Storage (Classic) resource. I changed to a newer Storage (general purpose v1) resource and it works.

The Cluster.log has errors related to setting up the Cloud Witness on the old storage resource, but the UI and log ultimately says it completed successfully.

Snippet attached.

View solution in original post