Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE
SOLVED

17744 expiring soon- how to update or stall expiration?

Copper Contributor

Hey all

I am writing a book on Server 2019, and I am currently on build 17744. The newer version available only has Server Core, and I need Server with GUI as well...

How do I keep this from expiring, or upgrade to a newer version that would be good? My publisher will be ticked if I miss deadlines because my VMs have expired. But I am not finding a newer version with GUI.  :(

13 Replies
best response confirmed by sperrott (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Windows Server 2019 has now released to the general public - 17744 was the last preview that was released to the Insider program.  We hope to have an Evaluation version released to the Eval Center in the upcoming weeks, but until then, the only preview that is available to Insiders is the vNext Semi-Annual Channel release which does not have the GUI.  17744 will not stop running after the certificate expires but it is not supported. Continue to use at your own risk.  

If you visit the Eval Center, you will see that Windows Server 2019 eval version is not yet available. "We are currently working on making the Windows Server 2019 evaluation media available. For more information, please check the Windows Server blog."

Thanks, I wasn't aware that it had been pulled yet again.

It was live for only a few days in early October. Getting the Eval version published again is a high priority.

Thanks, I knew about that one but it was back again for apparently a short period around mid Nov. Still is available via MSDN subscription.

As long as it won't stop running that is good. When the general release comes out, I will happily update to that but I was panicking a little when the message came up and I wasn't finding an LTSC release or the GA release.

Final builds of Windows Server 2019 (v1809) are available through Visual Studio Subscriptions (formerly MSDN), the Volume Licensing Site, and VMs are available on the Azure Marketplace. 

Thanks for this information. That Windows Server Blog post is now one month old, and provides no further information. The Eval version of Server 2019 is still not available. Server 2019 has also not been made available on Microsoft Imagine yet. Since Server 2019 was re-released a month ago, and can be purchased commercially, would it be possible to explain why it can't be made available via Eval or Microsoft Imagine by now? 

Windows Server 2019 was scheduled to be live on Imagine by now but there were some publishing issues. It should be live there within days. Windows Server 2019 Essentials will be live on the Eval Center sometime today. Due to unforseen circumstances, Datacenter and Standard Eval versions will not be live on the Eval Center until early 2019. My apologies for the delay, we're doing our best to expedite this and thank you for your patience.

Windows Server 2019 was scheduled to be live on Imagine by now but there were some publishing issues. It should be live there within days. Windows Server 2019 Essentials will be live on the Eval Center sometime today. Due to unforseen circumstances, Datacenter and Standard Eval versions will not be live on the Eval Center until early 2019. My apologies for the delay, we're doing our best to expedite this and thank you for your patience.

The Datacenter and Standard Evaluation editions of Windows Server 2019 are now also live on the Microsoft Evaluation Center. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by sperrott (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Windows Server 2019 has now released to the general public - 17744 was the last preview that was released to the Insider program.  We hope to have an Evaluation version released to the Eval Center in the upcoming weeks, but until then, the only preview that is available to Insiders is the vNext Semi-Annual Channel release which does not have the GUI.  17744 will not stop running after the certificate expires but it is not supported. Continue to use at your own risk.  

View solution in original post