Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

WS 2016 - C:\Windows\servicing\Version

Copper Contributor

Hello fellow sysadmins,

does anybody know what this folder is exactly for? There are some sub-folders in it (like "\10.0.14393.349", and "\10.0.14393.1051", all in the same format). Every time our IBM Spectrum Protect tries to backup C:, it generates errors, that it can't find 2 files in these folders (amd64_installed & x86_installed). These files do not exist. But TSM keeps searching for these (why?), doesn't find them (because they don't exist), and then generates an Error/Warning.

"Google" suggests that it has something to do with faulty/no more present devices in the device manager, but there are no. It seems to me that it has something to do with updates/TrustedInstaller/Windows versions? But I don't really know.

First ting I'd do is excude those from backup. I deleted those fodlers in my testVM, bootet it and it seems to run fine. Anybody knows, what this folder is exactly for?

cheers

Alex

5 Replies

Hi,

The Version folder in the servicing folder is for the Build Version.

You can check the same version last digits after . in the Winversion command.

The folder with the updated versions are created once you run the Servcing KBs like the below ones:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/4009938/windows-10-update-kb3213986

this build version have all the files and improvements which are recomneded by MS nd increases the build number.

These files will help in finding the build version of the OS helps in applying the SP files.

See the screenshot for attached for more details. Screenshot is for windows 10 but the concept applies for Windows 2016 too.

Those files will keep changing wilt the update in Build version number.

the one option to think off from TSm side to set some thing to ignore empty directories, should help you. which it will not backup the empty ones.

Hi,

thank you for your answer!

I already tried to TSM-exclude these directorys from the backup, but it doesn't seem to be a TSM thing.

The non existent files (x86_installed) in the older folders are reported by the VSS System State Backup.

As soon as I create a SystemState backup, VSS reports the files as "need to be backuped". TSM takes that list of files and starts to backup. But since they are not existing, TSM reports those as "missing files". I found reports about other people with other BackupTools, who encounter the same behaviour.

I already tryed to exclude the files from VSS Backup, but I haven't found a way to do so. All Reg-Keys I tried are ignored.

Any ideas?

Alex

Hope its not oo late:

The we can our legacy way in creating the dummy files with the names and backing them up.

The files will not be of any use.

MS article also refers the same:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4052556/error-the-system-writer-is-not-found-in-the-backup-...

Apologize for the delay, didnt get a notification.

I tried to copy file to this folder but it's showing error "you need permission to copy this file" there is not option to allow.

@Mohammed Anwar Hussain wrote:

Hope its not oo late:

The we can our legacy way in creating the dummy files with the names and backing them up.

The files will not be of any use.

MS article also refers the same:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4052556/error-the-system-writer-is-not-found-in-the-backup-...

Apologize for the delay, didnt get a notification.

Please use the command prompt with admin previlages to create the files