Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE
SOLVED

Windows server 2019 Trial Version on VMWare Workstation PRO 16

Copper Contributor

I started the install of my first virtual server on VMWare and attempted to install the trial version of windows server 2019.  Since it is a vm, I would expect it to be a clean install.  But instead I got this message screen.

Since it was the first install on a clean VM, I don't understand why I got this screen.

Is it safe to install on the VM or will it overwrite my laptop OS.  (Windows 10)

thanks,

TerrillMan_1-1647292576928.png

4 Replies
best response confirmed by TerrillMan (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Is it safe to install on the VM or will it overwrite my laptop OS.  (Windows 10)

thanks,

We can't see your screen so we don't really know but this is a normal dialog when installing Windows Server. Hopefully it is inside of a virtual machine. Choose the second option (custom) to install windows. It isn't possible to do an in-place upgrade using evaluation media. It also is not possible to in-place upgrade a desktop OS to Windows Server OS

Just checking if there's any progress or updates?

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies.)

@Dave Patrick Yeah I was just checking that it was safe to proceed, as I am only used to getting this message on a installation where there is already and OS installed.

Thanks

Sounds good then.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TerrillMan (Copper Contributor)
Solution

thanks,

We can't see your screen so we don't really know but this is a normal dialog when installing Windows Server. Hopefully it is inside of a virtual machine. Choose the second option (custom) to install windows. It isn't possible to do an in-place upgrade using evaluation media. It also is not possible to in-place upgrade a desktop OS to Windows Server OS

View solution in original post