Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE
SOLVED

Windows Server 2019 Remote Desktop Services CALs

Copper Contributor

Hi all, I have a client running Windows Server 2019 Datacenter, hosted on Azure. We often have a problem where we can't RDP into the server because there are already two RDP users connected (on their end). Do we need to buy Windows Server 2019 Remote Desktop Services CALs to connect a third user?, and would one be enough (the 2 "built-in freebies" that we're currently using + 1 more) or do we need 3?

Thanks

9 Replies

Yes, service providers can offer hosted solutions through Remote Desktop Services running on Azure as long as they obtained Remote Desktop Services Subscriber Access Licenses (SALs) through a Microsoft Services Provider License Agreement (SPLA) reseller

Volume Licensing customers who have active Software Assurance on their Remote Desktop Services User CALs are entitled to Remote Desktop Services CAL extended rights, which allow use of their Remote Desktop Services User CAL with Software Assurance against a Windows Server running on Azure or other service providers’ shared server environments. This Remote Desktop Services User CAL Software Assurance benefit allows each User to access Remote Desktop Services functionality only on one shared server environment (i.e. Azure or a third-party server) in addition to accessing the respective on-premise servers.

I'm having some difficulty understanding the legalese so I'll try rephrasing my question.

My client has two users connected to their server. Do they need to buy a Windows Server 2019 Remote Desktop Services CAL for a third user to access the server? If so, is one CAL enough or would they need to buy two additional CALs to cover the users who are already connected?

Yes, sounds like you'll need three.

@Dave Patrick Thanks. So 2 users = No CALs required, 3 users = 3 CALs required?

Any users other than for administrative purposes requires RDS Cals

Ah. I think we're all for administrative purposes (I'll have to check with a coworker about the client side of things, but from our side we're only logging in for admin purposes), does that mean we don't need any CALs? If so, how would we increase the limit?
best response confirmed by someguy- (Copper Contributor)
Solution

but from our side we're only logging in for admin purposes), does that mean we don't need any CALs? If so, how would we increase the limit?

The only way possible is to add RDS role and Cals to cover the users. Two users can still logon using the /admin switch as in mstsc.exe /admin

Ok, so legally we don't need to use CALs, but functionally we do. I think I'll suggest to my colleagues that we use three of our spare Action Pack CALs, I doubt we'll need them elsewhere. Thanks for your help.

Sounds good, you're welcome.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by someguy- (Copper Contributor)
Solution

but from our side we're only logging in for admin purposes), does that mean we don't need any CALs? If so, how would we increase the limit?

The only way possible is to add RDS role and Cals to cover the users. Two users can still logon using the /admin switch as in mstsc.exe /admin

View solution in original post