Windows Server 2012 SMB shares result in very slow Office files

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

I've been working very hard to setup a new file server for an office to replace the old one when it stopped working. I am quite new to this and am therefore looking for help. 

The shares are working and the client computers (win 10) are able to access the info on them. However any word document or or excel sheet takes a solid few mins to load. If you copy the file to the local computer it opens in a flash. I went through the Setup New SMB Share on the file server. 

I believe after all the forum digging that it is somehow related to the speed at which the clients connect to the server however im not sure how to diagnose or remedy that.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Reply
Hello,
Building a new file server on an almost out-of-support OS (2012 EOL is next year) is a bad idea.
You should check Microsoft best practices for building a new server : N/N-1 OS, Server Core, appropriate sizing using MS tool etc...

Multiple issues can trigger this kind of behavior. I would check network/storage/antivirus client first, as well as Windows Server logs and perfmon.