SOLVED

Windows print server

Copper Contributor

Hi

I have a customer that wants to put his printer server on azure, and remove them onprem, what do you think on this? I would like to know how traffic between client server and printer really works, when a client send a document for printing does this document go to the server and then back to the onprem printer? or does the client send the document to the local printer?

thanks

11 Replies
best response confirmed by tomscloud (Copper Contributor)
Solution
If you keep using a print server and configure all computers to print to that queue, the traffic will be computer -> Azure AD server -> printer. For some of our customers, I add all printers to their computers using Intune and the traffic pattern is computer -> printer. That way all traffic is directed towards the printer, there are no egress traffic costs from Azure back to on-prem, and printing is faster.
But client --> printer means no server queue, hence no need for server at all
(I assume the printers are added to clients by IP in Intune management)

Seb
Correct
That makes almost zero control, would not work here
Like rights on printers and logging for example?

And reporting and archiving, and print release etc

Ah, and VLAN restrictions (only print server communicates with printers)

Ah, ok... Then it will cause some egress data and costs I guess, not sure how much data it will be... Universal print could also be an option to assign printers, but the driver model has limitations
That is why I keep on-prem server (makes life so much easier)
If all servers are phased out or must be in Azure, then it's something else... But for performance in printing and for costs, on prem is easier
Yes in my case the customer wants to dismiss all on prem servers, and have dc and printer servers on azure cloud on 3 vm connected to the onprem via s2s vpn, so some egress traffic is needed.
I suggest having good reports on costs and comparing it later on to having universal print (if that's a good option for the type of printing) or distributing printers with local ip ports which is free but has some management costs for configuration
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by tomscloud (Copper Contributor)
Solution
If you keep using a print server and configure all computers to print to that queue, the traffic will be computer -> Azure AD server -> printer. For some of our customers, I add all printers to their computers using Intune and the traffic pattern is computer -> printer. That way all traffic is directed towards the printer, there are no egress traffic costs from Azure back to on-prem, and printing is faster.

View solution in original post