Windows 2016 VMware slow performance. Disks listed as unspecified

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I am having performance issue with Node 1 in a two nodes database cluster.

They both has identical VM hardware settings and sitting on the same datastore.

However, I noticed differences on Node1 compare to Node2 is that all VM disks on listed as unspecified devices under Devices and Printers

kenn2000_0-1656659269563.png

While Node 2 seems to be fine as expected.

kenn2000_3-1656476148399.png

Also, on Node 1, there are some volume shadow copies (does not exist on Node2) that has error 45 as below

kenn2000_2-1656475683203.png

My concerns are:

1. What could cause Windows listed all disks as unspecified on Node 1. Have already reinstalled latest VM Tools
  2.  Volume shadow is disabled on disks, what are those shadow copies in the list? Do they cause disks become unspecified.
  3. Is the slow performance (read/write to any disks, login, Windows update ) on Node 1 because of the unspecified disks?

Any ideas to solve the problem is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Ken.

9 Replies
What type of disk controller do you use?

Hi @Harm_Veenstra 

We are using default LSI Logic SAS.

And that should be enough to have now issues, the VMware Paravirtual one does have some benefits at very high loads. Can't explain the difference in performance or why there are volume shadow copy disks, backup-software/snapshots solution running on your host?
Do you have an update for us?
Hi @Harm_Veenstra ,
Thank you for your following up.
Thinking of changing disk to ParaVirtual, but still unable to explain the performance differences.
Same here, if changing it solves the problem.. Then you know, but if it doesn't.. The machines are patched equally too?
Thanks @Harm_Veenstra,
Two nodes are patched equally. And I noticed node 1 took much longer to apply the same patch and reboot compared to node 2.
If there's nothing more you can check and everything is the same... Reinstall?