SOLVED

Windows 2016 NSLOOKUP RETURN Error

Brass Contributor

Hello when i lunch NSLOOKUP via CMD i got error below,However the DNS is correctly configured.is there any solution for this issue. the primary server DC is SRVDCLMV01

RMAZOUZI_0-1654347079703.png

4 Replies
best response confirmed by RMAZOUZI (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@RMAZOUZI 

That's expected when the current server is set to the loopback address (in this case, the IPv6 loopback of ::1.) It's not an error since the server cannot resolve ::1 via DNS itself.

After entering nslookup, if you then specify "server ::1", you'll see the server header change again to "[::1]" meaning it can't look it up.

If you run "server 127.0.0.1", you'll see the server header change once again to the pre-defined value of "localhost".

Here's an example of both of these scenarios from a Server 2016 host.

LainRobertson_0-1654415776325.png

On Server 2022, the IPv6 loopback (::1) behaves the same way as the IPv4 loopback (127.0.0.1) and displays "localhost".

In any case, as I say, it's not an error.

Cheers,

Lain

Thanks
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RMAZOUZI (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@RMAZOUZI 

That's expected when the current server is set to the loopback address (in this case, the IPv6 loopback of ::1.) It's not an error since the server cannot resolve ::1 via DNS itself.

After entering nslookup, if you then specify "server ::1", you'll see the server header change again to "[::1]" meaning it can't look it up.

If you run "server 127.0.0.1", you'll see the server header change once again to the pre-defined value of "localhost".

Here's an example of both of these scenarios from a Server 2016 host.

LainRobertson_0-1654415776325.png

On Server 2022, the IPv6 loopback (::1) behaves the same way as the IPv4 loopback (127.0.0.1) and displays "localhost".

In any case, as I say, it's not an error.

Cheers,

Lain

View solution in original post