Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Windows 2008 running AD and file server fail-over cluster in-place upgrade to 2012 possible?

Copper Contributor

I have three 2008 DC Active Directory servers. Two of the servers (physical) are also a Microsoft clustered fail-over file servers. I am thinking of performing an in-place upgrade to 2012. Is this a possible upgrade path due to AD and File server roles and features installed?

Thanks, 

Milty 

5 Replies

@Milty60Domain Controllers are usually best done by provisioning new servers.

What are your domain/forest function levels? Is this a previously upgraded environment (i.e. do you need to run dfsrmig first?)?

@Mark Lewis 

My domain has not been previously upgraded. Both function levels are at Windows server 2003. I do think I will need to run dfsrmig. I am considering provision new servers - its a cost issue. 

Thanks for the link. I'm checking it out now.

Milty 

@Milty60 I would take domain/forest levels to 2008 R2 (are you using R2 rather than 2008?) Then run DFSRMig, then work on upgrading to 2016/2019

@Mark Lewis 

I'm using 2008 Enterprise servers. I will look into taking the domain/forest levels to 2008. Then run DFSRMig, Then work on upgrading to 2012/2016/2019.

Remember two of these servers are also a file servers fail over clustered pair. I have Googled around and asked IT associates and have had mixed responses - some say you can do the in-place upgrades some say you can not.  

Thanks, 

Milty