Win 2k8 to 2022 domain migration

Copper Contributor

I have completed the process with the dfsrmig commands successfully and everything was prepped, I was able to move all FSMO to the new server but cannot demote the old server. Communication between the old server and new server is hit or miss. When I run netdom qurey fsmo all roles are showing on new server (both servers). However, seems to be a problem with AD. I cannot find it. dcdiag shows duplicate name - I have hyperv setup and a virtual switch. All IP addresses are on the virtual switch and the physical nic is selected to use the virtual switch (no ip on physical nic). I need to demote the old server gracefully (not wanted to use forceremoval switch) as I believe there are issues in DNS. Any direction appreciated. 

1 Reply

Communication between the old server and new server is hit or miss.  I have hyperv setup and a virtual switch. All IP addresses are on the virtual switch and the physical nic is selected to use the virtual switch (no ip on physical nic). 

Not sure what is meant here. When you create a new external vSwitch the internet protocols are removed from the adapter and the Hyper-V Extensible Switch protocol is added turning that physical port into a multi-port virtual switch. Connect your VMs to this vSwitch and use each VM's vEthernet to configure the addressing in the exact same manner as if it were a physical NIC