Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE
SOLVED

What is the maximum size in single drive i can create with 2016 server?

Copper Contributor

Hello,

In my project i need to create single drive with 350 TB for indigo vision video library.   

i added  350 TB through iscsi (netApp storage) but that dive i cant format!!!!

is there any solution?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by SAMCM841 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

It depends on the filesystem you are using. For NTFS the maximum volume and file size is 256TB. For ReFS it is 35PB. So to format your 350TB "disk" you need to use ReFS or make 2 smaller partitions on the disk and format with NTFS.

Some additional info if you plan on using NTFS: make sure to use 64kb cluster size and a large file-record-segment. To accomplish this, format in powershell with:

Format-Volume -DriveLetter X -FileSystem NTFS -UseLargeFRS -AllocationUnitSize 64kb

@SAMCM841 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by SAMCM841 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

It depends on the filesystem you are using. For NTFS the maximum volume and file size is 256TB. For ReFS it is 35PB. So to format your 350TB "disk" you need to use ReFS or make 2 smaller partitions on the disk and format with NTFS.

Some additional info if you plan on using NTFS: make sure to use 64kb cluster size and a large file-record-segment. To accomplish this, format in powershell with:

Format-Volume -DriveLetter X -FileSystem NTFS -UseLargeFRS -AllocationUnitSize 64kb

@SAMCM841 

View solution in original post