Wat-Dat-Are Windows Server?

Copper Contributor

First, let me say, I'm a Nu-B. But! It's my intent to become and "Expert", or as expert as anyone can be with as mush information that's out floating in the "Clouds".

The current question is; I have a copy of Windows Server STD 2016 that I've never installed. I intended to use this to start my education into "et al". I would like to keep up to date and now that a later version of Windows Server is available would it be more advantageous to install what I have and upgrade, is there a procedure to install the later version w/o installing the 2016 version first?

I came by way of all this as I went through the PowerShell tutorials and thought it would be good to get all the latest tools in place before proceeding.

Please Advise.

7 Replies

I have a copy of Windows Server STD 2016 that I've never installed. I would like to keep up to date 

The simplest method to keep it up to date is to turn on Automatic updates so windows will download and install the latest SSUs and cumulative updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000825

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies)

and now that a later version of Windows Server is available would it be more advantageous to install what I have and upgrade, is there a procedure to install the later version w/o installing the 2016 version first?

Yes, you can install Server 2019 but this will require a new product key. Better option is to always clean install the operating system as opposed to an in-place upgrade.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies)

Yes, I understand all that. The question always gets down to the $$$. At this point I'm a Home hacker. I will clean install either the 2016 or 2019 version. The question is, does MS have an Upgrade license fee that's less than a full version fee like with an OS, or are these a perversion license fee. I don't know how it works as far as the Server Systems go. My original plan was to clean install 2016 and then update it to 2019 assuming it worked the same way as an OS upgrade. If there is no difference then I was going to start at a clean install of 2019. in essence, I'm looking for the least expensive way to 2019 from an installed version of win 10 pro 64 with a copy of server 2016 on the desk ready to be installed.

You will have to pardon me, I'm not familiar with "SSUs" what does that expand to?

I don't know if the above reply was read so the following is a repeat.

Yes, I understand all that. The question always gets down to the $$$. At this point I'm a Home hacker. I will clean install either the 2016 or 2019 version. The question is, does MS have an Upgrade license fee that's less than a full version fee like with an OS, or are these a perversion license fee. I don't know how it works as far as the Server Systems go. My original plan was to clean install 2016 and then update it to 2019 assuming it worked the same way as an OS upgrade. If there is no difference then I was going to start at a clean install of 2019. in essence, I'm looking for the least expensive way to 2019 from an installed version of win 10 pro 64 with a copy of server 2016 on the desk ready to be installed.
does MS have an Upgrade license fee that's less than a full version fee

Sorry, but there is no such option for windows server.

(please don't forget to mark helpful relies)

Thanks all, I'll get started. I'm reminded to "Mark if helpful" I don't see a way of doing that. How is that done?? @Dave Patrick 

You can click the "Mark As Best Response" and or vote them up.