Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Virtual AMD supervisor Hyper-V step by step documentation source

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to get my head around the possible setup for doing a Hyper-V sup with hosted AD Webhosting IPAM etc. and a client to get as much profit(speed) as possible with my hardware.

Also, to get back into the Windows Server Management work and up to date with the current standards for AD - Client security.

I do remember some information on Hyper-V as a "Backplane"/"supp" installation on Docs.microsoft.com but I can't find this anymore. Then again with the Windows Server Preview Build 25083 its not working to get any Drivers installed for my system. (note/; Not doing any Azure with this solution for now, later as possible fallback/backup solution.)

Now this sounds ofc like a weird and dumb question. But with all the scattered information on the Microsoft sites... I'm not able to find any good step by step from scratch to best practice AD implementation documentation. Also lost my Windows Server 2003 student book.

I'm running the following specs:

Gigabyte ax370 Gaming K 5

AMD Ryzen 1700

16gig 3200 Dual channel mem (currently running slower (also bad Gigabyte support on Bios F51d)

Nvidia GeForce 1700 super

1 raid setup 

some loose disks

I'm hoping that someone can give me some guidance in where to look for all(most) correct learning documentation.

Also, any idea how to run a Firewall from the same supp?

6 Replies

For some more background information i have created this very basic design. 

https://ibb.co/B2gBtLF

Also i wanted to mention that I've been away from IT for quite a while but really eager to come back! Please all answers are welcome! If the idea isn't even possible I 'd like to hear that to!

Kind regards,

@Rick_Treur

Hyper-V is supported on your board (In bios Overclocking > CPU Features > "SVM Mode" Enable as far as I can find info about it) But you're trying to run a Windows Server preview which could expire.. You can run Windows 10/11 Pro with Hyper-V for the things that you're using it and use that as the client and run all the server VM's on top of that. (Do you already have Windows 10/11 Pro?) You could use the Windows Firewall because you're already behind your router? And Mobile Clients are? Laptops/Android or iOS?
Yeah i've enable the SVM mode. Currently going for the Server Eval x64 20xx for testing. It could expire but should not be a problem for now. I will note this and see if there is any way I can test my other system with the other version.

Windows firewall yes, but it really slow and not always responding right to my block or accept request... strange behavior on the network as well. Like it is being bypassed for some reason by localhost or not hitting the firewall at all.
Any idea for a VM based firewall... and if there is, how would that be sec technical? Would it be an issue for it being on the same Hypervisor or not.

ISP locked the Routers for using a Router that is bought by myself. So no own router yet and my experience as Network Engineer says that it is better to have a "appliance" separate from the router.
Do see some articles about using Port ACL https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v-virtual-switch/create-securit... or using RRAS services. Palo Alto even has a Hyper-V deployment, requirements here https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/vm-series/9-1/vm-series-deployment/set-up-the-vm-series-firewall-o... but Palo Alto isn't cheap in my experience

How is your design coming along?

Did you compete the design?