SOLVED

Using MMC Snap-Ins remotely

Copper Contributor

Hello there;

Just joined Microsoft Tech Community and I'm not really sure if it's the exact place to ask about this problem.
The problem is that I have set up a virtual environment(I'm using Hyper-V) with 2 virtual machines(Windows Server 2016 Data Center & Server Core 2016 Data Center)and I've been trying to manage the Server Core remotely. Despite the fact that both servers have been added to the Server pool, I get an error while trying to set the appropriate firewall settings for MMC Snap-Ins.

I'll be truly grateful if someone helps me figure out the solution.

The error occurs when I try to enable COM+ Network Access(DCOM-In)The error occurs when I try to enable COM+ Network Access(DCOM-In)

3 Replies

I don't believe that rule exists on 2016+ which would explain why you are seeing the error you shared. If I'm not mistaken, that rule opened up port 135 which is satisfied by other rules by default on Server.

The steps to enable remote management on Hyper-V on 2016 are here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/manage/remotely-manage-hyper-...

I'd recommend reviewing that to confirm you have it configured properly.

Well, as far as I understand, this link is about managing VMs using host's PowerShell commands right?

But what I meant was managing a server's Snap-Ins remotely via another server(and both of these servers are actually Virtual Machines).

As you can see in the picture above, I'm trying to manage Core1 via DC1 and get this error.As you can see in the picture above, I'm trying to manage Core1 via DC1 and get this error. According to Microsoft's "Exam Ref 70-740", I had to type these commands in Core1 in order to set the Firewall rules for Remote Management; 
20181024_201517.png

However, something goes wrong with the first command (the other commands work properly).Capture.PNG

best response confirmed by Soheil Badri (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Ok, I see now. I was under the impression you were working between the two Hyper-V hosts. 

I just loaded up a Server Core 2016 and Server 2016 w/ GUI (both Datacenter) and can confirm that firewall rule does not exist on ServerCore. Here's the code I used to check.

Write-Host "Server 2016 with GUI"
Get-NetFirewallRule –Name COMPlusNetworkAccess-DCOM-In | select Name, Enabled
Get-NetFirewallRule –Name RemoteEventLogSvc-In-TCP | select Name, Enabled
Get-NetFirewallRule –Name RemoteEventlogSvc-NP-In-TCP | select Name, Enabled
Get-NetFirewallRule –Name RemoteEentLogSvc-RPCSS-In-TCP | select Name, Enabled

Invoke-Command -Computer ServerCore -ScriptBlock {
    Write-Host ""
    Write-Host "Server 2016 Core"
} Server 2016 with GUI Name Enabled ---- ------- ComPlusNetworkAccess-DCOM-In False RemoteEventLogSvc-In-TCP False RemoteEventLogSvc-NP-In-TCP False RemoteEventLogSvc-RPCSS-In-TCP False Server 2016 Core No MSFT_NetFirewallRule objects found with property 'InstanceID' equal to 'complusnetworkaccess-dcom-in'. Verify the value of the property and retry. + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (complusnetworkaccess-dcom-in:String) [Get-NetFirewallRule], CimJobExc eption + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CmdletizationQuery_NotFound_InstanceID,Get-NetFirewallRule + PSComputerName : ServerCore RemoteEventLogSvc-In-TCP False RemoteEventLogSvc-NP-In-TCP False RemoteEventLogSvc-RPCSS-In-TCP False

So, that rule is related to the Desktop Experience (GUI) that is installed when you go the non-core route.

I can also confirm that, that rule won't prohibit you from managing a Core Server via Server Manager, as you can see below in the screenshot.

Capture.PNG

So, it looks as if that rule existed at one point in Server Core which was later removed from Server Core during a release, however, again, it's not required to manage it via Server Manager.

If you're running the full GUI Server, you need to and can enable that rule.

For the sake of the exam, that content may be out of date, but if you're asked that question, assume you need to use those four firewall rules to enable the communication channel.

I just pulled up that book and it was written in Jan 2017 so a lot of things have changed in Server. Unfortunately it looks like you've ran into one of those instances where pieces of the exam content isn't accurate any longer.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Soheil Badri (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Ok, I see now. I was under the impression you were working between the two Hyper-V hosts. 

I just loaded up a Server Core 2016 and Server 2016 w/ GUI (both Datacenter) and can confirm that firewall rule does not exist on ServerCore. Here's the code I used to check.

Write-Host "Server 2016 with GUI"

Invoke-Command -Computer ServerCore -ScriptBlock {
    Write-Host ""
    Write-Host "Server 2016 Core"
} Server 2016 with GUI Name Enabled ---- ------- ComPlusNetworkAccess-DCOM-In False RemoteEventLogSvc-In-TCP False RemoteEventLogSvc-NP-In-TCP False RemoteEventLogSvc-RPCSS-In-TCP False Server 2016 Core No MSFT_NetFirewallRule objects found with property 'InstanceID' equal to 'complusnetworkaccess-dcom-in'. Verify the value of the property and retry. + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (complusnetworkaccess-dcom-in:String) [Get-NetFirewallRule], CimJobExc eption + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CmdletizationQuery_NotFound_InstanceID,Get-NetFirewallRule + PSComputerName : ServerCore RemoteEventLogSvc-In-TCP False RemoteEventLogSvc-NP-In-TCP False RemoteEventLogSvc-RPCSS-In-TCP False

So, that rule is related to the Desktop Experience (GUI) that is installed when you go the non-core route.

I can also confirm that, that rule won't prohibit you from managing a Core Server via Server Manager, as you can see below in the screenshot.

Capture.PNG

So, it looks as if that rule existed at one point in Server Core which was later removed from Server Core during a release, however, again, it's not required to manage it via Server Manager.

If you're running the full GUI Server, you need to and can enable that rule.

For the sake of the exam, that content may be out of date, but if you're asked that question, assume you need to use those four firewall rules to enable the communication channel.

I just pulled up that book and it was written in Jan 2017 so a lot of things have changed in Server. Unfortunately it looks like you've ran into one of those instances where pieces of the exam content isn't accurate any longer.

View solution in original post