Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Upgrade Server 2016 Standard > Server 2019 Standard - can't keep files

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I tried upgrading from Server 2016 Standard to Server 2019 Standard (Desktop) but the installer keeps telling me that I can't keep my files and settings because of a different Edition.

Tried both Standard and Standard Desktop.

dism /online /Get-CurrentEdition says "ServerStandard"

How can I upgrade and keep my files and settings?

28 Replies
Know I know EVAL Versions only work 180 days! I assume, this Version you could not inplace upgrade!
The issue was, in fact, the fact we were attempting the upgrade of the evaluation version. Upon applying a valid license for the current version, Windows installer replaces some core components (restart required), after which the in-place upgrade to Windows Server 2019 worked and allowed retaining of files (and the AD domain data). Hope this helps someone!
I'm going thru the same situation, have a 2016 Server Standard Eval and wanted to upgrade to 2019 Server Standard Eval, apparently is not possible to do without a bare metal install.

Used dism /online /get-currentedition to determine the current edition, ServerStandardEval
Used dism /online /get-targeteditions and got ServerStandard as the target, no eval.

Don't have the official MS media, just have the eval download.

@mactechTried to upgrade the EVAL to Standard on a test VM using the following command:

dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /productkey:WC2BQ-8NRM3-FDDYY-2BFGV-KHKQY /accepteula

It ran overnight and apparently the version was updated but Windows can't be registred because is a public key and don't know what running an unregistered version prevents me to do.

Tried to run the 2019 EVAL install and got to the same screen, can not keep my files so I cancelled.

I'm out of ideas.

That's correct, the TechNet server evaluation media cannot be used to perform an in-place upgrade. You'll need to use licensed media for this purpose.

@Dave Patrick  Only have they product keys, do you know where I can get the licensed media?

The reseller should also provide the installation media. If in the case of volume media you may be able to logon to volume center and download.

https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/default.aspx

@mactechWhat do you mean by 'upon applying a valid license for the current version'? Wasn't that license (key) applied in the past when that version (2016) was installed? You are now trying to upgrade to 2019, which I assume has a different 'activation key'... Or are you saying that you used some tool to re-install the 2016 CAL before running the 2019 setup? 

I'd start a new thread.