Updating Server 2016

Steel Contributor

I am trying to update our servers, all our servers are Server 2016 Standard, Version 1607, OS Build 14393.4225. We would like to get all our servers updated to Version 1803, however, Windows Update does not pull anymore updates. When I looked on Windows Catalog, I saw several updates for 1803. Does anyone know the best install packaged to update to Version 1803? Thank you.

7 Replies

Server 2016 Standard v1607 is a Long-Term Servicing Channel release. Server 2016 Standard v1803 is a Semi-Annual Channel release. The Semi-Annual Channel releases are generally core only. In order to move to Server 2016 Standard v1803 (a core only version) you'll need to clean install it.

Windows Server servicing channels | Microsoft Docs

@Dave Patrick 

If I have to do a clean install, it almost makes sense to go ahead and upgrade to Server 2019. Are there any recommendations out there about upgrading to Server 2019? Thanks!

Yes, it could make some sense to move to Server 2019 though you do have some time to think about it. Please close this one by marking answers and open a new thread for this new topic.

image.png

@Dave Patrick 

So would it make better sense to just get Server 2016 updated to current version 1803 rather then do a full upgrade to 2019? Maybe 2022 is a better year for upgrading to 2019?? Thanks for your input!!

@Tim Hunter wrote:

So would it make better sense to just get Server 2016 updated to current version 1803 rather then do a full upgrade to 2019? 

If you go that route just remember it is a core only semi annual release. Please close this thread by marking answers and open a new one about upgrade topic.

@Dave Patrick 

so what does that mean "core only semi annual release"? Am I not eligible since it does not come through Windows Update? Thanks for answering so many questions, I appreciate it.

Core only means no GUI (desktop experience) Read on here about the different channels.

Windows Server servicing channels | Microsoft Docs