Unable to Delete File from Shared Folder

Contributor

Hi,

I have a shared folder on which data is created from Linux machine and it's shared and we daily deleted files from this shared folder to maintain free space but one file is unable to delete as it appears that its ownership is missing and having trouble.

55.JPG56.JPG57.JPG58.JPG

14 Replies
The issue is that your account doesn't have any permissions to the file. You will need to take ownership of file first and then you will be able to change the permissions and grant yourself full control, after which you will able to delete it.

You can change the ownership, by clicking on the change icon after the text "unable to display current owner".

Gary.

@Gary_Reynolds 

Unable to take ownership of file.
I have Administrative Rights (Domain Admin) and machine is on Domain.1.JPG2.JPG

Have a look at this tool which should allow you review the permissions of the file, as it uses the backup and restore rights to view the permissions.  Start the program with a /F parameter to show files.

https://nettools.net/acl-viewer/

This is showing the permissions of the folder, you will need to run the command with a /F and it will show the files as well, then you should be able to see the permissions of the files that is causing the problem.
can you please instruct me step by step?
Start Command prompt with run as administrator
change to the directory containing aclviewer
type aclviewer.exe /F
In ACLviewer, enter directory path, as before, then select the file you are unable to delete, this should show the permissions that are assigned.
Any help ?
I can't the lower status bar from the screenshot, I'm assuming there is not a error message displayed when clicked on the file.

Assuming there is no error displayed. the file is owned by the local administrators, Ensure your account is a member of local administrators and complete the following steps

Right-click on a file in ACL Viewer.
Select Properties.
Click the Security tab
Click Advanced.
Click "Change" next to the owner name.
Click Advanced.
Click Find Now.
Select your username and click OK.

@Gary_Reynolds 

No option to add my name. I am local Admin member

s1.JPGs2.JPGs3.JPG

Have a look at this Q&A question, as it contains instruction that might help

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/497224/unable-to-display-current-owner.html