Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE
SOLVED

SYSVOL replication to DFSR (New user)

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm a new user.  I have 2 DCs, both Windows Server 2008.  I'm planning on migrating both to Windows Server 2019.  I meet all the requirements for migration except for the DFSR, and that's what my question is about.  

dfsrmig /setglobalstate 1 and dfsrmig /setglobalstate 2executed without any errors on both 2008 Servers, and I know dfsrmig /setglobalstate 3is the last step, and you can't roll back after this.

My question is, since steps 1,2 went without any issues, is it safe to assume I can move on to step 3?

I looked into a what if something wrong happens on step 3 scenario, but I can't really find any info.  All the posts I looked into, it looks like if steps 1,2 are successful, its safe to move to step 3.  Am I right?

Because 

Serv2 is the disk usage errors even though is has 127GB free.

The Other log is on serv1 and the errors seem to be trying to write to serv2, which I have done.

I created a dummy user account on one of the DC and it replicated instantly to the other DC so replication is instant.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/dfs-replication/migrate-sysvol-to-dfsr

https://www.rebeladmin.com/2015/04/step-by-step-guide-for-upgrading-sysvol-replication-to-dfsr-distr...

Thanks,

Tony

11 Replies

My question is, since steps 1,2 went without any issues, is it safe to assume I can move on to step 3?

First check Dfsrmig /getmigrationstate and look for the message all domain controllers have migrated successfully to the Global state ('Redirected')

@Dave Patrick 

Yes, I did that already and it says all domain controllers have migrated successfully to the Global state ('Redirected').

So the next step is dfsrmig /setglobalstate 3.  That's my question is related to.  So since I got the above message on dfsrmig /setglobalstate 2, is it safe to continue to dfsrmig /setglobalstate 3?

Meaning dfsrmig /setglobalstate 3 will compile without any issues?

I've asked this question to other Microsoft MVPs, including the one from the two url links, but when I ask about continuing to step 3, no one responds.

So the next step is dfsrmig /setglobalstate 3.  That's my question is related to.  So since I got the above message on dfsrmig /setglobalstate 2, is it safe to continue to dfsrmig /setglobalstate 3?

Yes, go for it

Thank you for the reply. So if I continue to dfsrmig /setglobalstate 3, what would happen if some thing happen? Or are you saying dfsrmig /setglobalstate 3 will run without any issue?

Sorry to keep asking I just want to clarify and make sure before continuing.
best response confirmed by tantony2022 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
what would happen if some thing happen? 

Hard to say what this means but if you're worried then perform a bare metal backup beforehand.

What I meant by 'what would happen if something happen' is that I've never done this before so I'm just being really cautious.

Thank you, I'll look into bare metal backup.

Sounds good, you're welcome.

one more question. For the bare metal backup, do I make backup of the entire server or anything specific?

I'd suggest the entire server.

ok understood, thanks again
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by tantony2022 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
what would happen if some thing happen? 

Hard to say what this means but if you're worried then perform a bare metal backup beforehand.

View solution in original post