Synology DSM 7.0 and Windows Server NTLM

Copper Contributor

Hi,

as I know, in DSM 7.0 only NTLMv2 is supported by default.

I have Windows Server 2012 with Local Security Policy Network security: LAN Manager authentication level sets as Send NTLM response only

Here is the Microsoft explanation: Client devices use NTLMv1 authentication, and they use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it. Domain controllers accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/security-policy-settings/network...

My question is, why I can`t connect to Synology using SMB if Synology DSM 7.0 is a server with NTMLv2 support and Windows Server 2012 should use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it, because Windows Server 2012 Local Security Policy Network security: LAN Manager authentication level is set as Send NTLM response only (in according to Microsoft explanation: Client devices use NTLMv1 authentication, and they use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it)?

When I enable NTLMv1 authentication in Synology DSM 7.0 SMB settings, everything works fine.

0 Replies