Storage Migration Service ErrorCode: 36889, Source device not included for transfer

Copper Contributor

Greetings,

I tried to use this awesome new service but hit a wall when I tried to add a destination.  When looking at the event view in the Windows Admin center I'm getting the following error at the Transfer Data step:

07/03/2020-17:32:20.815 [Erro] GetTransferEndpointConfig request failed for job=Server1DecomProject error=36889: ErrorCode: 36889, Source device not included for transfer

This is AFTER I've already inventoried the source server. 

When looking at the event view on the server running 2019 and the StorageMigrationService and StorageMigrationService-Proxy AND is the destination of this project, I see the following error:

07/03/2020-14:17:11.819 [Erro] The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'.

Now for the migration scenario:

Source: Windows Server 2008 R2

Role: Domain Controller and File Server

Target:  Windows Server 2019 

Role: Domain Controller and (potential) File Server

Config: Windows Defender disabled for domain

All servers are running on Hyper-V, on the same subnet and physically next to each other. Small environment.

Goal:  All I want to do is migrate the file shares. I DO NOT want to migrate DC roles or any roles for that matter. Just the data and recreate the shares.

In the meantime I'm using Robocopy to get the job done but this SMS app seems cool but doesn't seem to work in this simple scenario. 

Thanks and let me know your thoughts.

-Michael

Houston, TX

0 Replies