SMS migrate 2012R2 fileserver to 2019 server. Questions/potential issues

Copper Contributor

Currently we have a 2012R2 Standard fileserver that needs to migrate to a 2019 Standard server. I would like to use Storage Migration Service to do so, but the 2012R2 server also provides a few things that I am concerned about using SMS for:

1. It is using DFSR for 'data collection' (backup to a central storage server) - will that seamlessly migrate or will the replication group need to be deleted and re-created?

2. Users' personal data folders (Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos) are redirected to the 2012R2 server, also using "offline files" for users with laptops or tablet computers. Will that migrate without issue or should I take other measures?

3. There are also domain based DFS Namespaces set up. Will those migrate or will they need to be re-set up?

Ideas? Advice?   Thank you in advance for helping me with these questions.

-Brad

1 Reply

@bjbs001 

Hi Brad,

Migrating a file server from 2012R2 to 2019 using Storage Migration Service can be a smooth process if done correctly. However, there are a few potential issues that you need to consider. Here are my suggestions for each of your concerns:

1. DFSR replication: During the migration, Storage Migration Service will copy the data from the 2012R2 server to the new 2019 server. DFSR replication will not be affected during the migration process. Once the migration is complete, you can disable DFSR replication on the 2012R2 server and enable it on the new 2019 server. This will ensure that there is no data loss during the migration process.

2. User data folders: Storage Migration Service will migrate the user data folders to the new server without any issues. However, since you are using offline files, you need to make sure that the offline files are synchronized before the migration. This will ensure that the users' data is available offline on their laptops or tablet computers after the migration.

3. DFS Namespaces: Storage Migration Service will not migrate DFS Namespaces. You will need to manually create the namespaces on the new server after the migration is complete. Once the namespaces are created, you can update the DNS entries to point to the new server.

Overall, I would suggest that you thoroughly test the migration process in a test environment before performing the actual migration. This will help you identify any issues that may arise during the migration and ensure that the migration is successful. Also, make sure that you have a backup of your data before starting the migration process.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Source: (external link removed by moderator)