Server Config

Copper Contributor

Hi all

I've recently been tasked to upgrade our server to Win Server 2016 but coming for the SBS Server realm things are a little different going to Win Server 2016 Standard. Our current config consists of 2 servers.
First server is a SBS 2008, it is our AD, File, Print, DNS, SQL, Exchange servers. The other server is a Server 2008 basically a FS, backup and Remote desktop. We are a small office with 20 users and the primary app is the homegrown SQL App and Exchange. Going forward I am purchased 2 boxes that will run server 2016 standard. My question is how to allocate the new new boxes. Old servers are going to be retired or used as backup. I am thinking the following setup

Box #1 3GHz/ 32GB RAM/ 3 TB Raid 10 SSD / 24 cores
Server 2016 Standard
File and print services
Nano VM #1 - SQL Server 2016
Nano VM #2 - Exchange 2016

Box #2 2.4GHz / 32GB RAM / 2TB Raid 5 7200RPM Drives /16 cores
Server 2016 Standard
File and print services
AD, Backup Server, DNS, Remote desktop

My question are

Is this the best way to utilize the Servers/ virtual servers?
Should each physical server have 1 VM or should they both reside on Box #1 with is significantly faster with a Higher speed CPU and SSD?
Should AD be on the slower Server? or on the same server as Exchange and SQL?
The SQL definitely has to be on Box #1, but Exchange does not.
Does running a server in a Nano server slow it down?
Please send me your suggestions. If you think another config would work better please feel free to forward it to me.

Thanks in Advance

Sandor

1 Reply

Hi Sandor,

I would recommend your VM's be Server Core NOT NANO - Nano is being refocussed to exclude the Infrastructure roles completely and will be a 'container host' only deployment.

Also be careful what roles you put on a Hyper-V host running standard edition. If you put anything else on the server is counts as one of your OSE and will make you not fully licensed for the second VM.

If you are a SBS customer you may want to install the Essentials role or buy one Essentials edition as it maps very well to SBS with some great backup features and client imaging solutions. The only missing element from SBS standard is Exchange.

It makes sens to have the Vm's on the faster machine if they are your main workloads.

Why not have your physical boxes as Hyper Hosts only and have two VM's on each box. that way you can move them should you need to much more easily than a physical role.

Hope that helps

Ed