Server 2022 Windows Update Errors

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I've been having a very weird issue for a few months now where nearly all "cumulative" updates fail, but am unable to figure out why.  I've tried searching many forums, including this one to no avail, reset all WU related services, clear WU cache, ran sfc, dism, and chkdsk.  I am running 2022 DataCenter w/ Desktop Experience.

Here is the verbose log file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gqZDgHXzDymcr4j6Rf7FALfTC27rx5bO/view?usp=share_link

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Josh

8 Replies

Some things to try;

- sfc /scannow

- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

- Additional resources for Windows Update - Windows Client | Microsoft Learn (manual steps)

- a repair install by running setup.exe from the root of install media

- stand up a new one for replacement, migrate roles over and move on

@Dave Patrick 

We've got 4+ Server 2022 having the same issues with updates.

We've done sfc option and the DISM option and got no further forwards
Havent tried the setup again, and not very keen to do that.  Will clone a server and try that shortly

Run 

Sfc/scannow

Dism/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth

Dism/online/cleanup-image/startcomponentcleanup

Restart Server

Again run Win Update

@jscooksey 

Hey Josh,

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue? We saw it with our first test VM template of 2022, rebuilt it and it wasn't an issue on the rest of the boxes we've built from it since. 1 VM however, made it through the cracks and made it into production on a critical system so would be delighted to find a resolution.

Cheers,
Neil

Its not working, again i am facing same issue @kiddser 

@kiddser the resolution for me was to reinstall right over the top - it made me quite nervous doing so, but it went without a hitch and I've been golden since.

Thanks for responding Josh. Yeh, I was worried that might be the only resolution, but guess we'll give it a go. Cheers.

@joshuajm87 

Have you tried using sconfig?  That seems to have taken care of the 2022 issues we had.