Server 2022 KMS host key bug; Can't activate Win10 Enterprise LTSB/LTSC

Steel Contributor

We recently dropped our new Server 2022 KMS host key onto our KMS server. After the necessary update to accept the 2022 key and activating the new 2022 host key, we were able to activate our most common OS types in a quick test afterward -- Win10 Education 21H1, Server 2022, Server 2019, etc.

In the next few days, and even more today, we've been getting reports that Win10 Enterprise LTSB/LTSC  across some signage devices and laboratory machines stopped activating. Sure enough, I could reproduce the issue from a known good network.

Just this morning I spun up entirely fresh VMs and verified all the above is still reproducible with the following results:

Windows Server 2022 = Successfully activated

Windows Server 2019 = Successfully activated

Windows Server 2016 = Successfully activated

Windows 10 Education 21H1 = Successfully activated

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 = FAILED ACTIVATION (0xC004F074: License server reported that the computer could not be activated.)

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 = FAILED ACTIVATION (0xC004F074: License server reported that the computer could not be activated.)

Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB = FAILED ACTIVATION (0xC004F074: License server reported that the computer could not be activated.)

Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB = Successfully activated (odd, after the previous two)

Windows 8.1 Enterprise = Successfully activated

Windows 7 Enterprise = Successfully activated

Anyone else seeing this or could possibly test and confirm? I feel like this **has** to be a bug with 2022 host keys, but it's so new that I can't find anyone else in the same boat. I have a Premier ticket open for this.

112 Replies

@kwester-ebbinghaus-business 

ADBA won't activate non-domain joined devices.

That's fine. You shouldn't have non-domain devices anyways in an enterprise network. If so, usually in DMZ, just use the MAK key. The old KMS server is going away eventually. So we will all have to use ADBA.

@Carlin Zotz I agree with you there is rarely a need to have non domain joined device in enterprises, apart from specifically isolated networks. 

We pay for the licenses, to have these features for domain join and benefits of doing so in terms of management.
We join volume licensing or Online licensing agreements to get benefits over unmanaged standalone operation. Licensing and compliance is one of many. ADBA and VAMT 3.1 help a lot, at least with some crucial tasks.

p.s. KMS servers are already obsolete for some of our customers. KMS keys will remain for ADBA. 
This discussion here is still important, as MAK keys need recurring online connection, which might be unwanted in some scenarios either, especially in DMZ, as you would need to allow traffic to MS Licensing servers, opening a potential hole.

Hi all,
anything new about this topic and the open premier tickets?
We have the same issues with activating Windows 10 LTSC / LTSB and KMS Server installed on Windows Server 2022.
Hi as written in the thread it will be fixed next year.

@rkiesewetter We're just being told in our case to be patient and wait until February/March 2022 for the patch. We also verified this issue affects the Server 2022 KMS Host OS + Server 2022 KMS Host Key setup, though the Microsoft engineer in the case also had said this setup was affected and wouldn't work either.

We didn't have any Server 2022 servers enter production yet, so we followed the support engineer's guidance to revert back to the Server 2019 KMS Host key to get these LTSB/C builds of Windows 10 activating again. ADBA was the only other recommended workaround.

Is he saying that ADBA works with 2022 KMS key on LTSB/C builds? That is a while to wait for a fix.
We were told we could configure ADBA using the 2019 Host Key and then leave the 2022 Host Key intact to service KMS client requests. Supposedly both of these configs can coexist. Affected clients would use ADBA and yet Server 2022 clients could still activate. We did not go this route so can't independently verify whether it works.

I can confirm the same problem with KMS on Windows Server 2022 :( 

Hope MS gets a fix for this soon. My team doesn't want to move forward till MS has a fix, to get 2022/Win11 in our environment.

Forgot if I mentioned this elsewhere, but I was told the following by support -- 3rd week of February for Server 2019 KMS hosts, and second week of March for Server 2016 KMS hosts.

Also, you should only need to use a 2022 host key if you want to activate a Server 2022 KMS client. Windows 11 and Windows 10 both use the same clients keys and will activate fine as-is with a 2019 host key in use. (As will Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021, since it uses the same client keys as LTSC 2019)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/january-25-2022-kb5009616-os-build-17763-2510-preview-d395...

• Addresses a known issue that affects versions of Windows Server that are in use as a Key Management Services (KMS) host. Client devices running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 might not activate. This issue only occurs when using a new Customer Support Volume License Key (CSVLK) and after installing updates released April 22, 2021 or later.

@AWHussain 

This update promised to fix issues with Server 2019 and ltsc build 1809. Are they going to make fixes for Server 2022 and LTSC 21H2??? My KMS servers have been transferred to 2022 Server and activation of client systems on LTSC (any versions) does not work !!! In "Known issues in this update" for server 2022, this problem is not mentioned. Can someone ask a question on the ticket - will fixes be released for Server 2022 and LTSC 21H2 ??

@Oleg_Sviryd
The issue is fixed on Server 2022 with KB5009608 (OS Build 20348.502) Preview

there is no new KMS activation for LTSC 2021, it still using the same LTSC 2019 activation ids

@AWHussain Thanks, I'll wait till others here have confirmed it working before I make a move!

New update KB5009616 did not fix the issue for us (KMS sitting on Server 2019).
We still have an open premiere case so we're working with them to try to figure it out. I will keep updating here if anything changes

@abbodi1406 

1. The issue is fixed on Server 2022 with KB5009608 - Where is it written?

2. The key to activate 2022 servers and it is installed. Yes, it is written after installing the key that it is for 2019 servers, but the key for 2022 servers was used.

That's not good news. :( Keep us posted.

@ItzikT2095  Update KB5009608 didn't help. We are not able to activate Windows 10 LTSC with our KMS server running on Windows server 2022. I still hope it will be solved soon.

Can confirm KB5009608 DOESN'T solve the Problem on Server 2022 Hosts...