Server 2022 KMS host key bug; Can't activate Win10 Enterprise LTSB/LTSC

Steel Contributor

We recently dropped our new Server 2022 KMS host key onto our KMS server. After the necessary update to accept the 2022 key and activating the new 2022 host key, we were able to activate our most common OS types in a quick test afterward -- Win10 Education 21H1, Server 2022, Server 2019, etc.

In the next few days, and even more today, we've been getting reports that Win10 Enterprise LTSB/LTSC  across some signage devices and laboratory machines stopped activating. Sure enough, I could reproduce the issue from a known good network.

Just this morning I spun up entirely fresh VMs and verified all the above is still reproducible with the following results:

Windows Server 2022 = Successfully activated

Windows Server 2019 = Successfully activated

Windows Server 2016 = Successfully activated

Windows 10 Education 21H1 = Successfully activated

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 = FAILED ACTIVATION (0xC004F074: License server reported that the computer could not be activated.)

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 = FAILED ACTIVATION (0xC004F074: License server reported that the computer could not be activated.)

Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB = FAILED ACTIVATION (0xC004F074: License server reported that the computer could not be activated.)

Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB = Successfully activated (odd, after the previous two)

Windows 8.1 Enterprise = Successfully activated

Windows 7 Enterprise = Successfully activated

Anyone else seeing this or could possibly test and confirm? I feel like this **has** to be a bug with 2022 host keys, but it's so new that I can't find anyone else in the same boat. I have a Premier ticket open for this.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
112 Replies

i can confirm this also affects Server 2022, too.

We inplace upgraded our KMS-Server to 2022, since then it's not able to activate LTSC/LTSB Versions of Windows 10 any more. 

Same result in my test. Server 2022 KMS host with a 2022 key fixed nothing.

Also just checked an LTSC 2021 client after launch today, it is affected by this bug too just like 2016 LTSB and LTSC 2019.

@ajc196 what's the reason to not using ADBA?

@ajc196 LTSC 2021 still use LTSC 2019 KMS infrastructure and keys

the issue is fixed in Dev Insider Preview builds since 22478

i don't know why it takes them so long to backport the fix to Servers 2022/2019/2016

One workaround for us:

1. Installed Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Edition.

2. Installed all current Windows Updates (11/2021).

3. Installed KMS host key for Windows Server 2019 Datacenter per
cscript.exe C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk KMS-HOST-KEY

4. Activated KMS host key for Windows Server 2019 Datacenter per
cscript.exe C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

5. Installed KMS host key for Windows Server 2022 Datacenter per
cscript.exe C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk KMS-HOST-KEY

6. Activated KMS host key for Windows Server 2022 Datacenter per
cscript.exe C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

7. NEVER REBOOT!

@Jörg Maletzky what it the reason for not using AD Based Activation and managing / deploying via VAMT 3?

Using ADBA or not does not negate the fact that this is an active bug with KMS, so not sure why that is relevant.

I can say for our org, it's a moot point because devices using LTSC that are affected by this issue are not domain computers. They are on very locked down VLANs with only enough access to what they need, KMS host included. Think kiosks, signage, smart devices, computers operating other sensitive medical/scientific equipment, etc.

@ajc196 thank you for your follow-up and sharing the outcome of your support request. Maybe you want to share the SR so it could be used as reference just in case others want to point on this one. 

I understand your contraints for ADBA. It is not a one fits all solution, just wanted to make clear that fiddling with slmgr or using KMS is not the best solution for AD deployed machines anymore. 

Hello All, I have the same situation here. Windows Server 2022 KMS Host which does not activate my LTSC Clients. Has any body conatct to the MS Support about this?

Markus

Did you even read the discussion? Yes, many of us opened cases, read through and you'll have all the info you need.

Does anyone have confirmation if this issue exists in ADBA as well?  I was about to switch us from 2012 R2 to ADBA and 2022 KMS host key, but I may have to just use the 2019 key instead for now.  Thoughts?

I can confirm that ADBA works great also in junction with VAMT3 from the Windows 11 ADK.
One-time caveat with the DB though:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-server-for-it-pro/adk-for-windows-11-and-adk-for-wind...

and some strange glitches: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-server-for-it-pro/issue-windows-server-2022-generic-k...

p.s. mind that my report is about ADBA with Windows Server 2022 KMS key and Windows Server, while some here reported issues with LTSC clients. I cannot tell much whether LTSC clients issues would be solved with that switch to ADBA.

@kwester-ebbinghaus-business 

Yeah, the clients are my concern as we do use some Windows 10 LTSC in our environment I've been told.  May just have to go to ADBA with a 2019 KMS till we can confirm this works or is fixed.

With 2019 KMS you refer to the key or an KMS Server?

Considering the network and permission design VAMT from the said ADK is perfect for inventory. Reports for activation status and activation source etc.
Alternatively while you cannot add them effectively the add server feature of Server Manager gives an overview about the editions of Servers and Clients in your AD and also the versions, including LTSC
The best approach would be to use PowerShell and CSV exports filtering the OS description and build.

Has anyone tried ADBA with a 2022 KMS key?

were having the same issue.  I see a lot of people have opened tickets, but I didnt see any resolutions yet or did I miss something?  Is there a solution?

Thanks

@xwinger61 Doesn't seem to be a fix yet....Going to switch us to ADBA and use a 2019 KMS Key for now.

@ajc196 it is now in the known issues in Windows Update history
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/november-22-2021-kb5007266-os-build-17763-2330-preview-c9b...

After installing updates released April 22, 2021 or later, an issue occurs that affects versions of Windows Server that are in use as a Key Management Services (KMS) host. Client devices running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 and Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2016 might fail to activate. This issue only occurs when using a new Customer Support Volume License Key (CSVLK).

Note This does not affect activation of any other version or edition of Windows.

Client devices that are attempting to activate and are affected by this issue might receive the error, "Error: 0xC004F074. The Software Licensing Service reported that the computer could not be activated. No Key Management Service (KMS) could be contacted. Please see the Application Event Log for additional information."

Event Log entries related to activation are another way to tell that you might be affected by this issue. Open Event Viewer on the client device that failed activation and go to Windows Logs > Application. If you see only event ID 12288 without a corresponding event ID 12289, this means one of the following:

The KMS client could not reach the KMS host.

The KMS host did not respond.

The client did not receive the response.

For more information on these event IDs, see Useful KMS client events - Event ID 12288 and Event ID 12289.

We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

The problem was recognized only for 2016 and 2019 Servers. But not for Windows Server 2022!!! 

2022 has an own update history will double check.