Server 2022 Failover Cluster Network Configuration

Copper Contributor

Thank you all in advance for the help!

• I have 2 PowerEdge R750 servers that will be configured as a failover cluster with iSCSI storage.
  • I have 2 BCM5719 - Quad-Port 1GBASE-T and 1 BCM5720 - Dual-Port 1GBASE-T on each server for a total of 10 ports per server.
  • 4 ports will be for the iSCSI traffic, leaving 6 for all the other network traffic.

• I am planning to configure the 6 adapters with Switch Embedded Teaming.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a clear answer on configuring the network using Switch Embedded Teaming (SET).
I am not planning on using Azure Stack HCI teaming, so my Switch Embedded Teaming (SET) is only for local traffic.

1. Create a Switch Embedded Teaming (SET) using 6 network adaptors. (New-VMSwitch -Name "SETvSwitch" -NetAdapterName "NIC1","NIC2","NIC3","NIC4","NIC5","NIC6" -EnableEmbeddedTeaming $true)
  2. Change the Load Balancing Algorithm to Dynamic. (Set-VMSwitchTeam -Name "SETvSwitch" -LoadBalancingAlgorithm Dynamic)

Should I also use PowerShell to create the Cluster Network, Live Migration Network, and Management Network, or should I create those from the failover cluster manager? Am I missing any other networks?

Thank you

2 Replies
Hello,

You have to consider the network for the VLANs of the VMs as fourth configuration.
This network can be merge also with the Management network, but this is not the best practice.

@Vassilis_Dionisopoulos hello

Would you mind to elaborate ? 

4 vmnetworkadapters then ?

what if multiple VMs used differents vlans ?

do we still need to create that fourth vmnetworkapdater ?

How to differentiate vmnetwork adapter mgt & vmnetwork adapter vm  in failover clustering mmc both will be using cluster and client option or else ?