SOLVED

Server 2019 Datacenter can't create Static IP for Virtual Switch

Copper Contributor

Hello. I’m a newbie to virtualization, this is my first project. I’m hoping to take this server live by 2Q 2021. It’s what I define as a low resource load project so the server isn’t the fanciest or fastest. HW Spec at the bottom of this document. It was originally going to be a test and development machine but has been repurposed to use in production.

I’ve run into a dead end trying to configure Virtual Switches with Static IP’s. I’ve read a lot of documentation, tried various approaches and am hoping that someone can point me to something that works.

I’ve set up the Core with Desktop Experience so that I don’t have to learn WAC or all of the Power Shell commands while doing my first project.

Here is what I’m trying to accomplish.

The server has 14 NIC’s. Two on the motherboard which are reserved for the Core and are teamed with a Static IP. There are 12 (three 4 Port PCIe) NIC’s which support SR-IOV which I would like to use to reduce processing load on the server. I need to configure each NIC with a Static IP. I want to attach 1 Virtual NIC with a static IP to each VM for internet access.

If I add the IPv4 Static IP prior to trying to use the NIC to create a Virtual Switch the Virtual Switch creation fails it the following message “A protocol on the network adapter prevented it from binding to the virtual switch”.

If I leave the IPv4 set to Obtain an IP address automatically and the same with the DNS, It creates the Virtual Switch. I can then add the Virtual Switch to a VM (Server 2019 Standard, Licensed with an AVMA Key). I login to the VM as Administrator and I then go to change the adapter and get the following error message: “Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.” I have tried this both with the setting for “Allow management operating System to share the network adapter checked and unchecked when creating the Virtual Switch. I’ve also tried it with SR-IOV checked and unchecked. I’m sure it’s something simple, but what am I missing?

Another issue/question. How do I correlate the physical NIC to the External Network ID shown when creating the Virtual Switch. The only method I’ve found is to correlate the Physical Addresses. What am I missing?

TIA for any help.

Server – HP ML110 Gen 10. 176GB Ram, 24TB HDD, 14 NIC’s + ILO. Single processor with 8 cores.

Server 2019 Datacenter Edition 1809 (Licensed), updated through 2020-12, OS Build 17763.1637, where it will remain stabilized for some time. HP Updates through November 2020.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by George_Kulman (Copper Contributor)
Solution

When you create a new external vSwitch the internet protocols are removed from the adapter and the Hyper-V Extensible Switch protocol is added turning that physical port into a multi-port virtual switch. Connect your VMs to this vSwitch and use each VM's vEthernet to configure the addressing in the exact same manner as if it were a physical NIC

@Dave Patrick \

Thank you. I'll do it when I'm back in my office later this afternoon

@Dave Patrick 

Thanks very much Dave. It's so easy when you know what you're doing. Worked like a charm. :smile:

It also answered my second question. I had left the 'Allow management operating system to share this network adapter' box checked and the Server Manager Properties Screen for the Core gives me all of the info I dneed about whichphtsical adapter it is.

Glad to hear, you're welcome.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by George_Kulman (Copper Contributor)
Solution

When you create a new external vSwitch the internet protocols are removed from the adapter and the Hyper-V Extensible Switch protocol is added turning that physical port into a multi-port virtual switch. Connect your VMs to this vSwitch and use each VM's vEthernet to configure the addressing in the exact same manner as if it were a physical NIC

View solution in original post