Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Security Monthly Quality Rollup fails each month on Server 2008 R2

Copper Contributor

I have two Server 2008 R2 running on VMware  that I just cant install the Monthly Security Updates on. They appear to install but on reboot the server starts to run the configuring windows bit then gives a message that it failed and proceeds to roll back the updates. When I check the update history it gives a message that it failed to install with the error code 80070020.

Updates are controlled via a WSUS server.

I've tried stopping the updates, BITS and Cryptographic services, renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder and started the services again. I've run SFC /scannow and also DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

I've also tried manually downloading an update and installing it with the same result

11 Replies

Try installing the latest SSU

https://support.microsoft.com/lo-la/help/3177467/servicing-stack-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-window...

also I'd verify system and servicing health by running;

sfc /scannow

also system update readiness tool

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Then check for errors in;
%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

@ruttrowg 

Did you ever figure out a fix for this? Same issue with a few of our server 2008 R2's.

I tried installing latest and then went back and tried all the others and they all install, reboot, and then fail and rollback.

@WC_KStill wrote:

@ruttrowg 

Did you ever figure out a fix for this? Same issue with a few of our server 2008 R2's.

I tried installing latest and then went back and tried all the others and they all install, reboot, and then fail and rollback.

I'd start a new thread since each user's issues are unique.

@Dave Patrick 

I see a ton of people having the same issue with a quick google Search.

I am going to try installing SP2 and see if it fixes it

@WC_KStill wrote:

I am going to try installing SP2 and see if it fixes it

There is no SP2 for 2008 R2

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009469/windows-7-sp1-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-update-his...

@WC_KStill 

Yeah I just realized that on my own after a few searches lol.

@WC_KStill  - Any luck resolving this?  I saw the recommendation to create another thread, however I still wanted to know if you were able fix it in your environment and if so, how.  Thanks!

@Kevin2300 wrote:

@WC_KStill  - Any luck resolving this?  I saw the recommendation to create another thread, however I still wanted to know if you were able fix it in your environment and if so, how.  Thanks!

No one here knows what you're trying to resolve. I'd start a new thread since each user's issues are unique.

@Kevin2300

IKevin has arcserve backup installed. Removed and it worked. Then reinstalled 

@WC_KStill  - Thank you!  I've seen a reference to Arcserve in a few other search results.

I disabled all of the Arcserve services, rebooted, and the monthly update still failed.  Only after I uninstalled the Open File Agent did the update succeed.  The main Arcserve software is still on the machine.

Appreciate the quick response.

Yeah, same here. We had 8 servers. Most worked just disabling all the services. 2 of them I had to fully uninstall the software. We are all fully patched now :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes: