Running multiple Linux Hyper-V hosts on Windows Server 2016 Standard

Copper Contributor

Hello Microsoft Community,

I'm fairly new to the licensing structure Microsoft implemented for their Windows Server 2016 Standard and Datacenter editions.

So far I've understood that the difference between Standard and Datacenter is the number of Hyper-V hosts (OSEs) allowed to run on it. What I've been unable to determine if this only applies to Windows based operating systems or if this includes any operating system like Linux.

What I want to do is run a Windows Server 2016 Standard host with more than 2 Linux hosts. Would this mean I would have to buy a Datacenter edition instead of Standard edition because I have more than 2 hosts or would it be fine because the hosts aren't Windows (10/Server 2016)?

Kind regards,

Erik

1 Reply
  • Core-based licensing requires all physical cores in the server to be licensed. Servers are licensed based on the number of processor cores in the physical server.
  •  minimum of 8 core licenses is required for each physical processor and a minimum of 16 core licenses is required for each server.
  • Core licenses are sold in packs of two.
  • Standard Edition provides rights for up to 2 Operating System Environments or Windows Servers containers with Hyper-V isolation when all physical cores in the server are licensed.
  • For each additional 1 or 2 VMs, all the physical cores in the server must be licensed again.
  • http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/2/9/7290EA05-DC56-4BED-9400-138C5701F174/WS2016LicensingDat...

Microsoft licensing would not cover non-windows guests. You should refer to their end user licensing agreement for details.