Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Replacing server 2003 with Server 2019

Copper Contributor

I have inherited a 35 win 10 pc network with 1 Server 2003 pdc with 20 users and 4 2019 member servers. Would it be easier just to create a new domain server with 2019 and the same domain name as the old server? Do I just rejoin the member servers to the new domain? Do the win10 clients need to rejoin the domain? And if so how do I keep the user profiles from changing and losing the settings?

2 Replies

This will be a two-step process.

The prerequisite before introducing the first 2016 domain controller: domain functional level needs to be 2003 or higher

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health `correcting all errors found` before starting `any` operations. Then stand up the new 2019 or 2022, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also [making it a GC] (recommended), [transfer FSMO roles over] (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

The two prerequisites to introducing the first 2019 or 2022 domain controller are that domain functional level needs to be 2008 or higher and older sysvol FRS replication needs to have been migrated to DFSR
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYS... 

Once done, repeat above but installing Server 2019

Just checking if there's any progress or updates. Please don't forget to mark helpful replies.