Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Remote Desktop Webcam redirection

Copper Contributor

In mstsc.exe, under Local Resources > More.. there is an option for Video capture devices.  Which lists my webcam and Devices that I plug in later.  I have determined that this option the an RDP file is the string camerastoredirect:s:*  So what I have done is ran the following command on my Connection Broker so that this line will be added to rdp file generated by the feed.

Set-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration -CollectionName $CollectionName -CustomRdpProperty "camerastoredirect:s:*"

When I run Get-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration I see the value has been added to CustomRdpProperty along with "use redirection server name:i:1" which seems to be a default on all collections.

If I strip the signing info from a downloaded rdp file from the feed source and manually add camerastoredirect:s* my cameras are redirected.  Instructing my users to do this in order to use their cameras that do not work with RemoteFX USB redirection is not a direction I want to go.

What I am trying to solve is, why does my custom RDP property not apply to the RDP files that are downloaded.

2 Replies

@Matt_OCC 

I have this same issue.  Other settings come across as expected, but not the camera one.  I have verified on two farms on Server 2016.  They show up in the registry and in powershell, but don't seem to make it down to the RDP file when retrieved from RDWeb.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/rdp-files

@theguru I accidentally made a double post on this. and on the other post there is mention of editing the registry of the connection broker.  My last reply on that thread has a powershell command that has worked for me.

you can find the thread here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-server-for-it-pro/cameras-to-redirect-custom-rdp-prop...