Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Prompted for credentials when accessing mapped drive via VPN

Brass Contributor

I have a strange issue that is happening for a few users. They have domain joined computers and when connecting to VPN and then opening a mapped drive they are getting prompted for their AD credentials. Myself and many other users do not have this issue. When I connect to VPN I can double click the mapped drive (although there is a red X at first) the drive opens up with no issues. NTFS and share permissions allow everyone Read permissions so I know the permissions are not the issue. Once the credentials are entered they stay connected until logout or reboot. Anyone have this issue before? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

3 Replies

I'd check the domain controller and problem member both have the static ip address of DC listed for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS. Also check the required ports are flowing between the two.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/179442/how-to-configure-a-firewall-for-domains-and-trusts

@charlie4872 

Hello,

try to clear the appropiate Credential Manager entries. Maybe old passwords are cached. 

Regards,

Zoltan

Thanks for the response @IstvanffyZ this is actually the first thing I looked at and cleared out the cached creds and reconnected and still getting the same issue.