Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 03:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Problem to setup DNS server on Windows Server 2016

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have problem to setup my DNS server on Windows Server 2016 Standard.

But from beginning.

I have installed Hyper-V 2016, on this I create Virtual Machine, and setup there Windows Server 2016.
My ActiveDirectory works fine, and I want to add DNS server.

I follow many tutorials on YouTube, and everyone have more folders/files in DNS Manager, on forward zone to be exactly.

I have attached 2 screens:

• One is from YouTube where files and folders are visible.
  • Second is from my server where I dont see this files/folders.

Can I ask for help? Because I can't figure it out. I dont have ideas.

I was reinstalling AD, DNS and nothing.

Thank You in advance,

Greetings.
Jacob.

42 Replies

Hello,

Do you have any machine configured to actually use this new DNS server? I am guessing that you have just created the DNS server using the wizard. you are now looking in the DNS zone but do not see any records? Try setting the servers IP manually and point it to the new DNS server or use 127.0.0.1.

Hope that helps

If I can help more let me know.

Richard

By default your new domain controller is also a DNS server. Are you adding a second one? Make sure the new DC and all clients or members have the static address of DC listed for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS.

I would like to ask. Yes, I have install fresh AD with DNS Server.

My server has IP 192.168.xxx.201 so I put it into primary DNS on server, secondary DNS is empty.

On Client, I have IP 192.168.xxx.210 so I put primary DNS 192.168.xxx.201 and secondary DNS is empty.

Here are some screenshots. I will write about it now.DNS MANAGERDNS MANAGERDNS MANAGERDNS MANAGERDNS MANAGERDNS MANAGERServer TCP/IPServer TCP/IPClient TCP/IPClient TCP/IPClient AddDomainClient AddDomain

Hello,

From the second machine. are you able to ping the IP address of the DNS server?

I am thinking perhaps it could be an issue with your Hyper-V setup and the Virtual Switches.

Thanks

Richard

Hello,

Yes, Im able to ping server and domain.

What should I bring from Hyper-V setup and virtual switch to help me finally connect computer to domain.

1.PNGGreetings.

Have you tried manually creating the dns record to see if you are then able to connect to the domain, etc?

It could be an issue with dynamic DNS registration rather than Network as you are able to ping the DC.

No, because I don't know how could I create second DNS.

I was searching, but no info about.

In dns manager on the dc. Right-click on your forward lookup zone and click New Host (A or AAA). Enter the second vm's name and its IP address.

Let me know how that goes.

Thank You, but I dont have second VM, i got one VM where is Windows Server 2016, and laptop (client) with Windows 10.

Maybe You were talking about Hyper-V ?

Is the laptop running Hyper-V?

It might be best to create another VM say running windows 10 pro and try joining that to the domain.

You may have issues if you join your laptop to a dc that is running on it.

Okay, I will try. But, what if I would like to have this server in work and add other computers  ?

That is the next step. First, you need to make sure DNS is working right!

A couple of things;

I'd change from 16 bit to 24 bit mask on both server and client.

Also check that both DC and problem client got the domain firewall profile on network connection,

When you do the domain join also try using just the domain NetBIOS name

I have change form 16 to 24 bit subnet but no change.

I have install second VM named W8Client, added host to DNS Manager (Name:W8Client, FQDN: W8Client.komplex.local, IP: 192.168.88.198) and can't join to domain. Its the same error what is on my Windows 10 laptop. (DNS Server name doesnt exist).

I try to join only with NetBIOS name. Okay, I saw that I need to write user and password. But I can't join.

I'd run;

Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:DCName >c:\dcdiag.log
(please replace DCName with your Domain Controller name)
also run;
ipconfig /all > C:\dc1.txt
ipconfig /all > C:\client.txt
also include C:\Windows\debug\netsetup.log (from problem client)
then put files up on OneDrive and share a link.

Done.

Here is the link: https://ufile.io/xkyr9

DC and problem client should have the static address of DC listed for DNS and no other, so I'd remove 192.168.88.211

Client is mult-homed which will be problematic. I'd try diabling the other connections at least for domain join.

What is running on IP ending 211?

Change your DC so that it's DNS points to local host and then it's own up as secondary.

Try that and let me know

On .211 is running Hyper-V.

So, primary DNS should be 127.0.0.1 and secondary IP of Windows Server so 192.168.88.201 yes ?