NETLOGON error in Active Directory

Copper Contributor

I had an employee's PC crash a few weeks ago and I had to clone the failing HDD in question over to a new SSD. When I put the PC back in place, it had the same name as the old PC so I started getting a NETLOGON error on my Domain Controller. I did some digging to trouble shoot and researched the security trusts between computers and the DC. So I went into ADSI edit, found the PC in question, deleted it and afterwards I rejoined it to the domain with a new computer name. But I'm still getting a NETLOGON error and I feel like I'm stumped. Can anyone help?

This is the specific error:

The session setup from computer 'MLAB-17WS14' failed because the security database does not contain a trust account 'MLAB-17WS14$' referenced by the specified computer.

USER ACTION
If this is the first occurrence of this event for the specified computer and account, this may be a transient issue that doesn't require any action at this time. If this is a Read-Only Domain Controller and 'MLAB-17WS14$' is a legitimate machine account for the computer 'MLAB-17WS14' then 'MLAB-17WS14' should be marked cacheable for this location if appropriate or otherwise ensure connectivity to a domain controller capable of servicing the request (for example a writable domain controller). Otherwise, the following steps may be taken to resolve this problem:

If 'MLAB-17WS14$' is a legitimate machine account for the computer 'MLAB-17WS14', then 'MLAB-17WS14' should be rejoined to the domain.

If 'MLAB-17WS14$' is a legitimate interdomain trust account, then the trust should be recreated.

Otherwise, assuming that 'MLAB-17WS14$' is not a legitimate account, the following action should be taken on 'MLAB-17WS14':

If 'MLAB-17WS14' is a Domain Controller, then the trust associated with 'MLAB-17WS14$' should be deleted.

If 'MLAB-17WS14' is not a Domain Controller, it should be disjoined from the domain.

2 Replies

@Mitch_Mosier since you have a clone of the harddisk at hand, it doesn't hurt to try to sysprep the device after writing the clone to disk. SInce you mention you are able to try to rejoin the domain, I assume you have access to a local administrator user of the machine?

Try running (elevated) "sysprep.exe /generalize /shutdown /oobe"

This will reset your system's SID, which is the primary identifier for the device in the domain, and should solve your issue. If doesn't hurt to afterwards choose a different hostname if this is allowed in your environment.

The device has already been cloned. When I cloned to the SSD the device had the same hostname as the previous machine in AD. Which is what started the NETLOGON errors. So I deleted the computer in question from the ADSI edit menu, then logged into the local admin account and rejoined the PC to the domain with a new name thinking this would resolve my issue. However it is still happening.

I'll give this command a shot though, I'll have to wait until early morning when the PC is not in use though. Thanks for the suggestion!