SOLVED

Moving to different hardware and upgarding from Windows server 2012 to 2016

Copper Contributor

Dear Community,

We have Active Directory Service and multiple domain controllers on different sites.We have total 4 sites.

We want to change our hardware and also we want to move from windows server 2012 to windows server 2016. We have a Mediumsized organization around 120 people.

I am new to buying hardware and upgrading etc. We have an old hadware that we bought in 2010 with Windows Server 2012 installed.We want to migrate/upgrade from windows server 2012 to windows server 2016 on new hardware.

We have three nodes in IBM Blade Chasis HS23 and Cluster Role installed with shared Pool. We have Active Directory Service installed. I want to know what is the best way  to move from Windows srever 2012  with AD, DHCP, Cluster Roles etc installed and move to a new hardware with windows Server 2016.

What factors should I consider?

How should I plan the migration?

Kindly guide me.

Thanks.

1 Reply
best response confirmed by seema_kanwal (Copper Contributor)
Solution

The prerequisite before introducing the first 2016 domain controller: domain functional level needs to be 2003 or higher

The two prerequisites to introducing the first 2019 domain controller are that domain functional level needs to be 2008 or higher and older sysvol FRS replication needs to have been migrated to DFSR
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYS...

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting any operations. Then stand up the new 2016, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one, and move on to next one.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by seema_kanwal (Copper Contributor)
Solution

The prerequisite before introducing the first 2016 domain controller: domain functional level needs to be 2003 or higher

The two prerequisites to introducing the first 2019 domain controller are that domain functional level needs to be 2008 or higher and older sysvol FRS replication needs to have been migrated to DFSR
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYS...

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting any operations. Then stand up the new 2016, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one, and move on to next one.

View solution in original post