SOLVED

Migrating windows 2008 domain controller to 2016 Domain Controller

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am planning to migrate windows 2008 domain controller to windows 2016 Domain Controller.

May I know the steps migrate ?

Before migrating to 2016 DC do I have to migrate FRS to DFSR ?

Thank you.

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Vishwa10 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi@Vishwa10 

Please advise if you would like to do a clean-install on a different server or migrate on the same server (In-place Upgrade)? 

Firstly, when replacing / Migrating a DC, I would always like to make the new DC have the same IP as the old DC. It simplifies many things, like DHCP scopes, DHCP relays, and devices with static IP. You can give the old DC a new IP and then give the new DC the original IP address.

Thank you,

Dav,

Should not be a problem but do not do an in-place upgrade. In-place are risky and possibilities of corruption carry-forward. Server 2016 still works with older FRS technology.

I'd check that domain functional level is at least 2003, then use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new 2016, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over, transfer pdc emulator role, use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one and move on to next one. Also at some point either before or after I'd recommend migrating sysvol replication from older FRS technology to DFSR. 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYS...

@Deleted 

It would be clean install on different server.

Hi@Vishwa10 

It is a good idea, as you might be aware the extended support for Windows Server 2008 R2/Windows Server 2008 ends in January of 2020. Therefore, it is great to plan ahead.

If you are using Exchange 2010 in your environment > Exchange 2010 SP3 RU22 adds support for Windows 2016 Domain Controllers and 2016 Forest Functional Level. So make sure to install it.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/rmilne/2018/06/19/exchange-2010-sp3-ru22-released/

In upgrade process, you will not be able to jump from Windows 2008 to 2016 but because you are doing a clean install, it is a much easier job. If you have a new hardware even much better.
1.Clean install a new Windows Server 2016.
2. Join it to your domain.
3. Migrating server roles from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2016.
4. Remove Windows Server 2008.

DFS-R is more reliable than FRS. If you do not migrate, you could run into a bad FRS issue in the future. So from my point of view, better to migrate. Follow below and all steps explained for

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYS...

Along the way, if you need any help we are more than happy to help you here :)

Thank you

Dav,

@Deleted 

During FRS-DFSR Migration @ Prepared state when I run Propagation test.I get below error.

"Replication group Domain System Volume,replicated folder SYSVOL Share on member ABCD.EFG.COM

A new propagation test file cannot be created.Cannot open propagation test folder under replicated folder.The network name cannot be found"

My DNS is not running on windows.

Thank you

@Dave Patrick 

During FRS-DFSR Migration @ Prepared state when I run Propagation test.I get below error.

"Replication group Domain System Volume,replicated folder SYSVOL Share on member ABCD.EFG.COM

A new propagation test file cannot be created.Cannot open propagation test folder under replicated folder.The network name cannot be found"

My DNS is not running on windows.

Thank you

Please run;
  • Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:%computername% >c:\dcdiag.log
  • repadmin /showrepl >C:\repl.txt
  • ipconfig /all > C:\dc1.txt
  • ipconfig /all > C:\dc2.txt

then put text files up on OneDrive and share a link.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Vishwa10 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi@Vishwa10 

Please advise if you would like to do a clean-install on a different server or migrate on the same server (In-place Upgrade)? 

Firstly, when replacing / Migrating a DC, I would always like to make the new DC have the same IP as the old DC. It simplifies many things, like DHCP scopes, DHCP relays, and devices with static IP. You can give the old DC a new IP and then give the new DC the original IP address.

Thank you,

Dav,

View solution in original post