Migrating from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2012 r2 Standard

Copper Contributor

Good day Sir/Madam

1. Here at work I'm running a Windows Server 2003 and need to Migrate to Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. 

2. Need to Migrate all the Home Drives automatically to Windows Server 2012 R2 With no problems

3. Ensure all user connecting to the server that will be newly windows server 2012 are connecting succesfully

4. Retain the Ip Address of the older server with Windows server 2003 to the new server with Windows Server 2012

Would appreciate the assistance with this critical migration so I dont lose any information.

Kind Regards

CHUMA MABINDLA

3 Replies

Thanks for the question. I'm moving this post to the Windows Server space for greater visibility.

For the DC migration I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify existing health and correct any errors before starting. Then I'd stand up the new 2012 R2 server, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one and then re-ip the new server with that of the old one.

For the home drives migration you could follow along here.

https://dilshansaminda.wordpress.com/2012/01/06/migrate-user-home-folders-to-a-new-file-server-with-...