Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 03:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE
SOLVED

KMS host key status

Copper Contributor
I have setup a 2019 Server for Active Directory Based Activation (KMS), and added the host key (CSVLK) from the VLSC.
When I run slmgr /xpr, it says "Volume activation will expire" in 180 days. Shouldn't it say "The machine is permanently activated"?
10 Replies

No, that's normal expected behavior.

KMS activations are valid for 180 days (the activation validity interval). To remain activated, KMS client computers must renew their activation by connecting to the KMS host at least once every 180 days.

Activate clients running Windows 10 (Windows 10) - Windows Deployment | Microsoft Docs

Right, for those activating.

How do I tell if the server's host key is activated so it can continue activating clients?
I have it installed, but I guess I'm trying to make sure the KMS host key is happy.

Just checking if there's any progress or updates?

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies)

I'm still stuck. I've tried the link but I'm not able to get the info I need.
I'm basically wanting to know if the server with ADBA will keep activating, or will it cease to activate clients?
best response confirmed by Nate U (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Normal and expected behavior when you use KMS

KMS activations are valid for 180 days (the activation validity interval). To remain activated, KMS client computers must renew their activation by connecting to the KMS host at least once every 180 days. By default, KMS client computers attempt to renew their activation every 7 days. If KMS activation fails, the client computer retries every two hours. After a client computer’s activation is renewed, the activation validity interval begins again.

So in 180 days, the host will continue activating.

That's correct, by default, KMS client computers attempt to renew their activation every 7 days

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Nate U (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Normal and expected behavior when you use KMS

KMS activations are valid for 180 days (the activation validity interval). To remain activated, KMS client computers must renew their activation by connecting to the KMS host at least once every 180 days. By default, KMS client computers attempt to renew their activation every 7 days. If KMS activation fails, the client computer retries every two hours. After a client computer’s activation is renewed, the activation validity interval begins again.

View solution in original post