Is it possible to install AD FS without AD CA?

Copper Contributor

Hi guy

I installed AD and AD FS in the AWS EC2, and want to change authentication to this server.

We created custom AD FS provider and do not want to install CA on it.

When executing "Set-MsolADFSContext –Computer" Cmdlet, i got following error. 

Do "Kerberos authentication" need to work with CA or?

----

System.Management.Automation.Remoting.PSRemotingTransportException: Connecting to remote server aaa.bbb.com failed with the following error message : WinRM cannot process the request. The following error occurred while using Kerberos authentication: Cannot find the computer aaa.bbb.com. Verify that the computer exists on the network and that the name provided is spelled correctly. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.AsyncResult.EndInvoke()

1 Reply

I doesn't not seem to be related to ADFS but it seems to be a pure WinRM/OS issue.

By the way, what do you call CA? Certificate Services? If so, no you don't need to deploy any to use ADFS.

I'd say try to connect to the ADFS server from the same machine you are trying to using the following command:

Enter-PSSession <ADFS_server-FQDN>

Does this also fail? I guess yes... So check network connectivity, make sure DNS resolution is also working correctly and also ensure you type the name of the ADFS node, not farm.