Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups

Copper Contributor

Forgive my basic question, but I need you to elaborate on it in a simplified way.
Are Hyper-V replication, checkpoints, and backups the same thing just like "apple tree"  vs "apple", "apple pit", "garden of apple tree"?
and if not, what is the difference between them

2 Replies

hi NKV_ask ,

From my experience, hyper-V checkpoints are snapshots. It requires you to manually take a snapshot of VM every time you think it is necessary.

For Hyper-V replication, did you mean Hyper-V Replica? It is also the feature in Hyper-V. You can find it in Hyper-V Manager. This will copy the selected VM from the primary host to destination host (replica server) as per the frequency you set.

As for backup, you can use Windows Server Backup to backup host or only selected VMs.

By the way, we have just tested Vinchin Backup & Recovery for Hyper-V VM backup. It works well in our environment.

@NKV_ask 

They are very different mechanisms used for very different purposes.

Providing an over-simplified view on just these three that you've mentioned:

Replication

Used to provide high-availability. i.e. the primary purpose is to avoid service disruptions.

Of no use whatsoever in most/all point-in-time recovery procedures.

Is not even a comparison to, let alone a replacement for a backup solution.

Checkpoints

Provides point-in-time recovery to a (hopefully) known good position, but that requires planning by the operator - it doesn't just happen magically on its own.

Generally only useful in fast-changing, non-production environments.

Backups

Best option (in this three-option context) for production recovery purposes.

Allows for point-in-time recovery.

Hopefully provides - with the right supporting agents - an application-consistent recovery, which is the only type that matters. There is a world of difference between restoring data and restoring a system/application to working order.

Approaches to disaster recovery and higher availability are much bigger topics but this very loosely covers the three you've enquired about.

Cheers,

Lain